Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dog hauling hatch - search and rescue ru

I've been thinking of how to secure a dog crate in the back of the hatch, then I started thinking, how bout just make a "grate" between the front and back, and then maybe one all the way in the back so you can open the back without opening the dog's area, and then maybe over the side windows so they can be opened for ventilation. Anybody doen anything like this before? any suggestions or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

It would be cool especially if I convert to 4 wd and lift it, I figured, it will go places that are hard to get to, then, the dog is a bloodhound, working on man trailing and scent tracking, seems logical that the too should go together, his name even has the right letters in it, LOL Carter RUben

I never liked dog gates/crates myself; but then I never cared for leashes either....

Anyway, I think a crate bolted to the floor would work good. You could secure it with wing nuts so it'd be easy to remove if you wanted to haul something besides a pooch. Remember, installing a gate in the front and rear will limit your access as well.

Now, here's a really good idea: I put a 35x40 sliding ragtop in the roof of my wagon. With the roof open, the interior never gets hotter than the outside temps, I feel totally comfortable leaving the mutt (or mutts) back there on a summer day. It's a lot more secure than leaving your windows down as well.

Then again, no one messes with my car when there's an angry Randall barking at them.

There's a thread on my woof, uh I mean roof here.

hmm I have not found a need for a doggy divider in my car yet. the dog is spoiled. He kicks it in the back seat complaining about how the windows dont roll down all the way. I would like to get a doggy seat belt for him though. I have had a few emergency stops where he went flying into the back of the front seats.

I do have a little bit of experience with dog dividers if thats really what you want to do. I used to work on cop cars. repairing at one point and building them at a differnt yard later. A police K9 unit has no back seat. they build a platform with grippy carpet back there so the dog can keep control while riding along. used a thick mesh for the windows and divider. they usually leave the cars running with A/C on for the dogs or parked in a nice cool spot with windows open. are there any specific details you are looking for? let me know.

Singletrack- I like your rag top. bet the dags do to. My dog was crate trained when i got him but he never really liked it. now he has freedom of the house while we are gone. He lives with two cats and never gets in trouble at home. away from the house Is a different story. He has a tendancy to chase deer and get in brawls with other dogs so he stays ON leash 99% of the time.

Considering the investment in both time and money that one puts into a SAR dog, it becomes VERY important to protect the dog in case of an accident. I'm currently working on the designs for something like this for one of my wagons. In my case, I'm joining the local 4x4 rescue while my wife gets herself and her dog certified for SAR work. The key is that you have to have room for the dog and all his gear as well as yourself and all your gear (for those who don't know, that is a LOT of gear). In order to protect the dog, my car will have the rear seat removed and I will build up the cargo floor to a point just behind the back of the passenger's seat. This will leave some storage in the rear passenger footwells. The crate will be custom made from 1.5" steel tube frame and will be welded into place on both the floor and ceiling of the car. The sides will be made from heavy canvas, like a sail. That should be heavy enough to protect the dog, but soft enough to not hurt him. This design will leave enough room on either side for gear storage.