Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing headlight bulb - how do I do it?

I have a 96 legacy.

I looked at the manual and it looks simple enough but when I go to do the deed the bulb just will not come out.

The manual doesn't do a good job telling me how to replace the bulb and there a "push" marked on the piece holding the bulb.

What do I do here?

THanks for any help you can provide. I kinda feel stupid asking but I gotta change the bulb.

Wow is it snowing outside! I'm in the Catskills and we are supposed to get quite a lot of this :)

There are two arrows pointing towards the center of the boot where "PUSH" is written...yes? Grab the sides at the end of each of those arrows, squeeze, and wiggle. That should do it :) If it doesn't try again when it is warmer!

edit: once you get the connector off, you have to take off the rubber boot around the bulb assembly and then you can access the bulb.

I tried pinching the sides - won't come out. Either I am an idiot or this thing is jammed.

IIf I recall correctly, sometimes it is a little tough to get out. On my '92, the plug goes through an opening in the rubber boot into the bulb; so you pull the plug out first, then the boot comes off and the bulb can be taken out easier. There's also a little metal clip holding it in place. Then reverse the process.