Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Those of you that live in snowy climates can identify with this: ;):slobber::D Feel free to contribute more. :lol:

1. Despite the proliferation of AWD vehicles over the last few years, a Subie is still the coolest vehicle to be in.

2. Dusting Camaros is a blast.

3. SUV drivers really ARE idiots. Waaay too reckless / inattentive.

4. I remove swirls from my Sube's finish by dragging a coarse snow brush across it's surface several dozen times each winter. By summer, all the swirls are gone ...replaced by a nice formation of straight scratches.

5. gEtTiNG oN tHe hIgHwAy aFtEr pAckInG ThE aLlOyS fUlL oF pOwDeR, dOeSn'T WoRk VerRry WelL. :eek:

Those of you that live in snowy climates can identify with this: ;):slobber::D Feel free to contribute more. :lol:

1. Despite the proliferation of AWD vehicles over the last few years, a Subie is still the coolest vehicle to be in.

2. Dusting Camaros is a blast.

3. SUV drivers really ARE idiots. Waaay too reckless / inattentive.

4. I remove swirls from my Sube's finish by dragging a coarse snow brush across it's surface several dozen times each winter. By summer, all the swirls are gone ...replaced by a nice formation of straight scratches.

5. gEtTiNG oN tHe hIgHwAy aFtEr pAckInG ThE aLlOyS fUlL oF pOwDeR, dOeSn'T WoRk VerRry WelL. :eek:

1. I agree. It's to the point that I hate the fact that every car seems to have AWD. Many of these systems aren't real AWD, as they only apply power to all wheels after slippage is detected.

2. I have to admit that flooring it off the line in the really slippery stuff without ever slipping a bit puts a huge grin on my face.

3. I agree 100%. People have some misguided notion that AWD makes a car safer in the snow. About the only thing it really does is make it capable of climbing steeper grades and faster acceleration (as opposed to FWD). Tires are the only thing capable of making a car safer in the snow IMHO, and the vast majority of people think that AWD exempts them from the need for snow tires. With that said I am sure people think I am a crazy jerk when I am cruising along at the speed limit in the left lane of the snow-covered interstate while they are going 35 in the slow lane. Is it evident that I have contempt for people that run all-seasons and then complain that it took them an hour to drive 20 miles to work?

4. I am a bit selfish, as I don't clean off my car very well. I don't like the scratches from the brush. The wind will clean it off as I start moving, keeps those jerks off my a** temporarily. I just do the windows and lights, let the heated mirrors do themselves. The engine needs to be warm in order to be able to not clean off the hood or the snow blowing onto the windshield will muck it up quickly.

5. Hmm, haven't experienced this.

5. Hmm, haven't experienced this.

You're lucky. I'm referring to the huge wheel imbalance you get from snow / ice all packed in the wheels.

Problem is that you don't discover the condition until you've gotten on the highway to get somewhere, and you're already 5 minutes behind schedule. When it's bad, you generally can't go much over 45-50 mph without it feeling like the wheels are gonna hop right off the chassis.

3. I agree 100%. People have some misguided notion that AWD makes a car safer in the snow. About the only thing it really does is make it capable of climbing steeper grades and faster acceleration (as opposed to FWD). Tires are the only thing capable of making a car safer in the snow..

I agree totally. I have never owned dedicated snow tires before this year. We got a set of studded tires for my wife's Honda, and it is now just as good as my all season tired AWD Subaru. And the Honda stops and corners better, I am getting some snow tiresfor my car next year.

You're lucky. I'm referring to the huge wheel imbalance you get from snow / ice all packed in the wheels.

Problem is that you don't discover the condition until you've gotten on the highway to get somewhere, and you're already 5 minutes behind schedule. When it's bad, you generally can't go much over 45-50 mph without it feeling like the wheels are gonna hop right off the chassis.

That doesn't sound fun.

6. A Subaru specific gripe perhaps...the prop shaft gets all jammed with ice and it sounds like there is a jackhammer under the seat. My wife came home in a panic one night with this symptom, a night in the heated garage cured things nicely.

I have yet to see a vehicle that can TOUCH a studded-tired Subaru in the snow. Most of the time, I'm doing 10-20 over the speed limit unless it gets deep enough that it slows me down. (No flaming please. I DO slow down and drive very carefully whenever there are people around, especially little ones. There just aren't that many people around where I live, so speeding isn't really a safety issue.)

I agree totally. I have never owned dedicated snow tires before this year. We got a set of studded tires for my wife's Honda, and it is now just as good as my all season tired AWD Subaru. And the Honda stops and corners better, I am getting some snow tiresfor my car next year.

Absolutely true. I've always run dedicated snow tires, my Outback being the only exception this winter. Once snow is a few inches deep, the Subaru can move forward and climb hills better than my snow-tire equipped cars, but the snow tires make a HUGE improvement in stopping and turning. On ice or packed snow, the 2WD cars with snows are FAR more stable.

I'll be buying snow tires for the Outback next winter.