Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 98 Legacy, I have "tried" going through some deep snow with varying results.

One time hit a drift which I didn't realize how deep it was. snow came over the hood heavy enough to stop the wipers. Of course I had to stop and found myself imbedded..........

Another thing I've had problems with over the years. snow pushing out those plastic air vents in the front facia and scooping the snow up underneath the plastic wheel well, pushing it down so it rode on the tire......not a pleasant thing to fix when it is bitter cold out and it is packed solid with snow.........

My plastic air vents are now attached with screws..........

swi66

I had no problems here in Philly yesterday after our 12" with my Forester. The only slight problem I had were with my tires. I am using Bridgestone Turanza LST tires. Up to now they have been fine in the snow. But yesterday they had small problems on unplowed streets. The tires seemed to "ice over" and loose most of their grip. Next fall I am going to investigate winter tires for the Forester. Storage seems to be my main problem but we're moving to a larger house shortly and I might put up a shed for tires and a snow blower.

~Howard

:banana:

Our Forester is on all-season tires, so we've been leaving it at home lots lately. They're just useless. Even AWD can't manufacture traction, it's all about tires. Our OBW is on studded snows, as is the Mercedes. Even the RWD no LSD MB can haul away from AWD SUV's on all-seasons. The OBW is terrific, but the 3600lb weight is a bit of an enemy stopping on ice. The 3150lb Forester should be great next year when I can get tires for it.