Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Windshield Crack-Stress Fracture/Forrester

Has anyone experienced a stress fracture in the front windshield? My

2003 Forrester has a crack that originated in the absolute driver's side lower

corner. I do not think it could have come from an object hitting the

car. Thanks!

Peter

Haven't seen nor heard of any issues with the Forester windshields. What you will need to do is to look VERY, VERY close along the entire surface of the crack for ANY, I stress ANY! signs of impact. If there is, that is probably your cause. Windshields are such a large part of the structural integrity of vehicles today and any hit can cause them to split. Some do, some don't since there are so many factors. With that being said, a stress crack is far from impossible. A slight defect in the glass may go unnoticed (i.e. under moldings) until the vehicle is put under just the right stress to cause it to crack. If you cannot find any type of surface damage along the crack, you want to go to the dealer and discuss a warranty replacement.

Before you replace it, shoot me a message as I will be happy to give you some tips on getting a proper and safe windshield install. I repair unsafe installs done by untrained, inexperienced techs almost daily. What might look like a good install now might be a leaking, rusted nightmare in the making.

Listen to Syd... I have gone through 9 windshields in the past 2 years... poor quality glass was the main reason. Wavy glass which makes you car sick while driving and at night disperses the light into sprays across the windshield, seems people who wear glasses are pretty much immune to seeing this problem, so the practice continues.

I had one replaced and it was good glass... got hit by a rock within a month... when the second tech came out to replace it, he discovered the first one never cleaned or sealed the scratches that inevitably happen when the old glass is removed. It had already began to rust, within a year I would have had leaks. There's a compound in a can that they apply to the opening to prohibit this problem. I can't remember the name but the other guy never took the time to apply it... his not taking a PAID minute out of his life would have caused me a major hassle.

Mass. comprehensive insurance covers glass with no deductible, so all the glass companies make calls to drum up business. They use poor quality aftermarket glass and bill the insurance direct. (as I stated people who wear glasses don't see the wavy glass and think it's ok). I have vowed to have the original glass repaired whenever possible by Safe-Lite they come out and fill it as long as it's less than 6". I had it done to one and with the exception of a tiny, greyish spot, it was fine.

Syd, what's your opinion on the Safe-Lite repair aspect? Any safety issues? Longevity of the repair?