Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Power Steering upgrade?

I am considering adding power steering to my Red Brat. Why?, they ask. Because my wife also needs to drive it on occasion and due to muscle, joint issues she doesn't have the greatest upper body strength. This makes steering in parking lots, etc. a bit of an issue.

How big of a project would it be to convert the standard steering to power steering? I will be traveling up I-5 from CA to Ocean Shores, WA this summer and am considering having it done at that time. I believe there are board members that are accessable on the way or in that general area that run or work in qualified garages.

I would appreciate two things: First, your thoughts on such a project and, Secondly, the contact info for someone to do the work.

Thanks,

As far as i know i dont see why it wouldnt be possible. You could probably get all the parts you would need from the same era of car you have. like the P/S pump, lines, and the rack, and put them in to your brat.

But i would wait and see what anyone else has to say on the idea.

should be a pretty easy swap.

you will need the steering rack from a ea81 bodied vehicle, and the PS pump/brackets and lines. and I would also grab the linkage from the rack up to the steering column shaft.

your 87's passenger side head should already have the holes for mounting the pump.

after the swap is complete, you'll need an alignment.

if you can get the parts or even if you don't, there's a really good Subaru shop in Portland, Or. A guy on the board here , richierich, and his dad run it and they do exceptional work. Ask any board member who has work done by him or has gone to him in need of parts. He even might have the parts needed to do the swap. Pm him and he'll be able to tell you if he ahs the parts, and how much it would cost plus labor. From what I hear, his labor charges are pretty reasonable for board members, plus you won't have to worry about some schmuck screwing it up!

I just posted tthe same question a couple days ago,along with what the guys said above you also may have a slight problem with the crossmember being different.Either get the original power steering crossmember or perform what should be an easy mod to make it fit.I will post the mods I have to do once I get the rack and see how it fits up.good luck

Attn: RedBrat, I will email you about pricing later, as I am out of the shop but can talk about the conversion itself.

We have done this to a couple of vehicles, My dad's old 82 BRAT, a Wagon for a customer. In addition my 85 BRAT has powersteering on it, installed by the previous owner, and I bought it for the same reason, my wife being able to drive my BRAT. In addition, it really does make it nicer to drive.

Yes, you install the whole cross member, and all the power steering parts from another vehicle. The 84 and newer motors should have the 3 bolts on the head to mount up the power steering pump. On the 82 we did new headgaskets and switch out the head. It was the easiest conversion since the motor was out.

Attn: RedBrat, I will email you about pricing later, as I am out of the shop but can talk about the conversion itself.

No rush as it won't happen until a trip north this summer some time. It would be good if you and/or others in your area keep your eyes open for a good donor for the parts. It would help avoid just getting what is available at the time. Parts can be paid for when they are secured even tho installation may happen later.

Thanks,

I have a least one set-up. But if I know I have another person interested I would buy another parts vehicle.

To answer your question Barracuda, maybe. There is one already predrilled that is usually used for the ground cable. There may or may not be two more "tabs". If the tabs are there, then yes it can be drilled and tapped, but be careful because the waterjacket is right behind there.

I am currently in the middle of moving to a larger shop, but will get a price quote to you after the first of February. Been working in one form or another till about 9:30 every night.