Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no heat!!!!

before my car broke down, i had heat. i was stranded in indiana and paid 500 to get 10 mile tow, waterpump, and fan clutch on my 90 loyale. if i'm ever in that town again i'm going to track down the so called mechanic and bludgen him to death.

well, that being said...i have no heat and my engine is running really really cold. thought it was the thermostat so got a new one and put it in a few days ago. still no heat. i have no water leaking anywhere so i don't know if it's my heater core or what. maybe my wiring is screwed up and no power is getting to where it needs to be. who knows. but if any of you have a solution, please give it up cause i'm the only person i know who has to use the ice scraper on the INSIDE of the car.

I can think of a few possibilites:

1st - make sure your hoses are connected properly - the heater hoses can be spotted easily on the back firewall

2nd - check the coolent level/mixture if it has too much water or antifreeze in it - he may not have put enough antifreeze in it

3rd - check for air bubbles in the system - can be causing issues take radiator cap off and run until the thermostat opens and then start squeezing and releasing the top radiator hose. Bouncing up and down on the front end helps too.

4th - put an OEM Subaru thermostat in

That is all I can think of! Hope you find the problem!

Cougar - the engine is also running cold!

is the blower working [fan speed] ? if not ,mine did the same thing on my 86 sedan, i ran a wire from from the green/white from the blower and ran it to the fuse box , and it works fine , mine would shut off after a few minutes of working , it may not be the right way to fix it ,but it works

• 2 months later...

the fan works...i had the system flushed and still didn't have heat. my coolant is good...still no leaks from heater core so i really can't figure out what the deal is. one thing i noticed is that the selector switches for defrost, heat, bilevel etc. gets really hot. i'm assuming i've got a major electrical problem...as my car OFTEN shocks the hell out of me and the cig liter fuse constantly burns out and my battery gages wabbles around constantly. my uncle grabbed the hoses and said it was ok he's stumped too. my gas milage is still super good i read something on that being affected by running cold. it must be a sensor or electrical problem. or an IDIOT named bill who has a rip off garage somewhere in the bowels of Indiana. I swear indiana is just cursed. on the way to chicago my exhaust clogged and i drilled holes in it. on the way home my bearing rips out of my water pump.

regardless...it's almost spring so i won't really be needing my heat much anyway. since i've got to get the ac recharged i'll have them look at it then. it's nothing too serious since my car still runs allright.

if i get approved for the 189 lease on the imprezza i'm just gonna sell this baby.