Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83-84 Clutch with 82 BRAT (UPDATE!)

Flowmastered87GL

Another update...

Took the carrier and bearing in to Richie's shop and had a short discussion with him and his dad.

We put the bearing and carrier in the vise... its pressed on as far as its going.

However we think that maybe when I removed the clutch release fork to grease it while I was doing the clutch job that i may have not seated it properly and it is now therefore always pressing forward on the bearing and carrier.

I am going to yank the engine back out Monday night and see if thats the case.

Another update...

Yanked the engine, jiggled the release fork, plopped it back on.

Slid on TO bearing assy.

The pilot shaft and the inner part of the carrier sat COMPLETELY FLUSH!

So... I think that was most likely the problem... the fork was no properly seated.

I tested the setup with a breaker bar and my body weight against the front of the car... it tried to run me over... good.

Since I work late tomorrow, I will try turning the key Wednesday evening to see what happens.

Tinkered a bit, said a little prayer... I think it worked... we shall see.

Well... I jumped in the brat today and started it in 4 lo 1st gear... it kinda moved forward.

Then I tried 1st gear in high range and FWD.... slipping again :banghead:

I dont get it... the carrier was sitting flush down on the pilot shaft this time and I had reseated the release fork.

Hmmm maybe the flywheel HAS been turned down too far.

I'm almost to the point of trying to swap in a good used 4 sp from when someone else does a 5 speed conversion and take EVERYTHING from their brat since I know its all good and working.

This frustrates me SOOO much. :banghead:

Update AGAIN.

Getting married this weekend, may have time to tinker, may not...

But I plan to either do one of 2 things:

#1 Get a known working setup from another 82 BRAT or:

#2 Have the outer surface of the flywheel turned down.

I am leaning more towards #1. Maybe stick the new disk in the good setup if its substantially thicker. If not I would probably just run 100% old setup in there and reduce the price of the brat accordingly.

I just need it done and gone! If after doing either 1 and or 2 it still doesnt work.. I may consider selling it as a partially completed rebuilder. (for someone to swap in a 5 speed DR or some other setup) But hopefully it wont come to that.

Any comments? Reason why I should choose 1 method over the other?