Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strut Tower Brace....Q....

http://www.subspeed.com/LoyStrutBar.htm

does it help to the handeling of the car?

does someone that have this tower brance in his subaru can tell s it work or not?

is it worth 155$ ?

and last thing....can it made by DIY ?

thank you all for your fast answer

moshe.

You can easily DIY and it will improve your cars driving characteristics, you can do it on the cheap or get really into and drop some big bills. Some 4x4'ers remove their bar so as to allow the car to flex even more.

hi

but one touch point at each side.....it's working....? you can feel the defrent between with or without?

i have a neroste round tube,whrilly nice...i can cut it and make two holes, one each side, change the original screw for bigger one's, each side...but it will make any diffrent?

thank you for your fast answer.

moshe.

I have no way to objectively tell if it's making much of a difference, and I don't do autocross or anything like that, especially since I lifted my car. That said, I think it does make a difference in keeping the chassis more rigid when going over bumps at high speed and cornering. In theory, even with two attachment points, a strut brace will definitely improve the rigidity of the car, which is good for handling and longevity. Also, I just realized that unless you're really romping on the car, a bar with six attachment points will make no difference in comparison to a two-point bar. Since those types have joints at each end, they still can only keep the struts from flexing in and out, which a two-point bar also accomplishes. The only real advantage is that the attachment is probably stronger.

For everyday use, I'd go with the type that Skip and I are running.

Sorry to burst bubbles but the strut tower brace has to be fastened to the actual strut inside the tower. the two tabs snowman's and skip's are fastened to are the very lightweight tabs that the spare tire support arm bolts to. It is fairly thin metal and not designed to carry much of a load. While it may give some benefit, I would equate it to using a copper pipe for a sway bar. no offense...

I have welded steel tabs on to the top of my steel lift blocks (2")

Then run steel rod between the tabs, via Clevis forks...

Strong and simple and a very big improvement in road driving behaviour.

(Fast winding highway 75%)

My brace also does more work as I have WICKED CAMBER on the front wheels.

Barracuda is correct...

Anything attached to bodywork on a Subaru is not very strong.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4033