Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help with temperature slider/selector

Hi folks, I've been trying to diagnose this for a couple months and so far I don't have anything, and my search of the forums didn't turn up anything like this, so here's my problem, on an '86 DL wagon:

The slider that selects temperature for the HVAC (you know, blue for cold, red for hot) slid all the way to the top and got lodged there. It won't slide back down, except with force it (un-smoothly) goes about a half an inch. I took the dash pod apart and there are a few broken brittle plastic parts that probably contributed to the failure. However, it is attached to a cable, which I assume controls a diverter flap of some sort. That cable will not budge. So here's where I am with it -

- Maybe I just need a new switch because that will apply the proper leverage to the cable

- The cable is jammed/stretched

- The diverter flap is jammed/blocked

The air still comes through the vents, the fans switch works (as do the different speed...more or less), and the air direction buttons work. I just cannot change the temp of the air (and it's got to be that slider, b/c the engine temp/coolant is just fine, last time I checked anyway):dead:

Does anyone have experience with this and/or fixed a similar problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

Patrick:banana:

I had a similar problem with mine. I took my dash a part twice before I found that the cable goes down right by the throttle pedal. You may have something hung up down there. Its hard to see, but crawl down and look just above the gas pedal, the end of the cable is attached to a bracket. Hope this helps.