Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Running lights will not turn off

My 2000 Outback Wagon running lights (tail lights and front parking) stay on even when the light switch is in the off position and the ignition switch is in the off position. Until this is fixed I have to pull the running lights fuse to turn them off. Maybe a switch of relay has failed? I have no wiring diagram for the car. Can anyone help me with some ideas of what the problem would be. Thanks.

My 2000 Outback Wagon running lights (tail lights and front parking) stay on even when the light switch is in the off position and the ignition switch is in the off position. Until this is fixed I have to pull the running lights fuse to turn them off. Maybe a switch of relay has failed? I have no wiring diagram for the car. Can anyone help me with some ideas of what the problem would be. Thanks.

check the switch on top of the steering column. :D

Joe

An unending string of Subaru virgins passes thru these portals ... welcome.

Don't feel bad, my wife called last week after she got to work. I had turned on the parking lights after I dorve her car up the icy driveway and it was parked on the street (blind curve). She got to work and thought something was broken when the parking lights didn't go out with the headlights.

This is her third Subaru, and she's had this one since 2001.

When I bought our Outback (used), our salesman made a big point of explaining that swtich, and ensuring that both my wife and I knew it was there. He said almost every Subaru customer comes in at some point complaining that the lights won't turn off, and he wanted to save us the embarassment.

rodsherrill,

OK... just so you don't feel bad, I'll share my recent (2 weeks ago) experience. And I'll admit right up front, I've owned Subarus for 10+ years now... have a 94 Legacy and 99 Forester...

I was working on the 99 Forester up in the dash and around the instrument cluster. I disconnected the battery so as not to upset the omnipotent airbag god. I did my work, which included futzing around by the steering column. I finished my work and reconnected the battery. I have the keyfob transmitter for the door locks, and whenever you disconnect the battery you have to reset the door lock transceiver. The car tells you this by flashing the parking lights... like the hazard lights are on.

Well... when I reconnected the battery, the parking lights starting flashing - except they didn't go OFF between flashes. They just sorta flashed between bright and dim. I'd disconnected the battery numerous times before, but had never seen this before. GREAT - I thought to myself - what have I buggered up now?

I still hadn't hit the "unlock" button on the transmitter to reset the transceiver, so the lights were still flashing away. I was just standing there dumbfounded, trying to figure out what could be wrong. In disgust, I finally hit the transmitter button to reset the transceiver, and the parking lights stopped flashing - and the car was sitting their with the parking lights on with the keys in my hand.

It was only about 5 seconds after this that I firmly whapped myself upside the head and went and turned off the switch on the top of my steering column that I'd bumped while messing around in the instrument cluster.

Welcome to the ranks!

-kurt

Thanks for the reply and to all the others that replied. The switch on top of the steering column was on. Once you and several others replied with the same answer my memory was refreshed and I do remember the car saleman telling me about this switch. I just never use it and forget it is there. I must have turned it on while cleaning the instrument panel.

rodsherrill,

OK... just so you don't feel bad, I'll share my recent (2 weeks ago) experience. And I'll admit right up front, I've owned Subarus for 10+ years now... have a 94 Legacy and 99 Forester...

I was working on the 99 Forester up in the dash and around the instrument cluster. I disconnected the battery so as not to upset the omnipotent airbag god. I did my work, which included futzing around by the steering column. I finished my work and reconnected the battery. I have the keyfob transmitter for the door locks, and whenever you disconnect the battery you have to reset the door lock transceiver. The car tells you this by flashing the parking lights... like the hazard lights are on.

Well... when I reconnected the battery, the parking lights starting flashing - except they didn't go OFF between flashes. They just sorta flashed between bright and dim. I'd disconnected the battery numerous times before, but had never seen this before. GREAT - I thought to myself - what have I buggered up now?

I still hadn't hit the "unlock" button on the transmitter to reset the transceiver, so the lights were still flashing away. I was just standing there dumbfounded, trying to figure out what could be wrong. In disgust, I finally hit the transmitter button to reset the transceiver, and the parking lights stopped flashing - and the car was sitting their with the parking lights on with the keys in my hand.

It was only about 5 seconds after this that I firmly whapped myself upside the head and went and turned off the switch on the top of my steering column that I'd bumped while messing around in the instrument cluster.

Welcome to the ranks!

-kurt

An unending string of Subaru virgins passes thru these portals ... welcome.

Don't feel bad, my wife called last week after she got to work. I had turned on the parking lights after I dorve her car up the icy driveway and it was parked on the street (blind curve). She got to work and thought something was broken when the parking lights didn't go out with the headlights.

This is her third Subaru, and she's had this one since 2001.

You guys are awesome, This happened today with my wife's 2003 Baja. I was flummoxed until I found this site and checked out the steering column. She's had this car for almost two years and neither of us had noticed the switch on the top of the column!:slobber:

Thankfully, I found this thread and remembered she had the car washed today and they might have hit the mystery switch..lol.

Thanks a million guys!

Chad H.