Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Still Broke

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 99legacy2.5GTLTD

99legacy2.5GTLTD

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • South Dakota

Posted 24 January 2005 - 04:21 PM

Hey everyone,
Thanks to everyone for there responses to my original thread "subaru newbee having a bad day". I wanted to update you on the status of my 99 legacy 2.5 GT Limited. It's still in the shop. They have replaced the speed sensor but it did not fix the shifting problem. So now they are talking about replacing the Transmission control module(TCM). They want another $420 just for the unit. I am looking around for the part myself but not having a lot of luck if any of you have a working TCM that you want to sell or know of some sites I can look for them new or used I would appreciate it.

#2 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,688 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:08 PM

I have one from a 96 Legacy. I don't know if they are interchangable, but you are welcome to try it for the costs of shipping. If it works, send me a fair price for the used one.

Later, Larry

#3 99legacy2.5GTLTD

99legacy2.5GTLTD

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • South Dakota

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:17 PM

I have one from a 96 Legacy. I don't know if they are interchangable, but you are welcome to try it for the costs of shipping. If it works, send me a fair price for the used one.

Later, Larry

Thank you for your offer, however I am told that it has to be from a 99 and maybe a 2000 with a phase 2 transmission.

#4 sea#3

sea#3

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:59 PM

99 legacy 2.5 GT LTD
Before you go spending any money has the shop :
1) repaired the speed sensor ?
2) Cleared the codes in the ECM ?
3) Cleared any codes in the TCM ?
You have to do all 3 and the best way to do the last two is with the proper scan tool
If the codes are not cleared it will stay in a default mode and maybe causing your hard shift

SEA#3

#5 99legacy2.5GTLTD

99legacy2.5GTLTD

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • South Dakota

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:38 PM

99 legacy 2.5 GT LTD
Before you go spending any money has the shop :
1) repaired the speed sensor ?
2) Cleared the codes in the ECM ?
3) Cleared any codes in the TCM ?
You have to do all 3 and the best way to do the last two is with the proper scan tool
If the codes are not cleared it will stay in a default mode and maybe causing your hard shift

SEA#3

I assume that since they are a subaru dealership that they have thought to clear the codes but I will ask them anyway. They did replace the speed sensor and it did not fix the problem. The other thing they told me is that when they have diagnostics machine hooked up to the TCM the car shifts fine but when they unplug it the problem returns.

#6 ccrinc

ccrinc

The Subaru Whisperer

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • Denver, CO

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:28 PM

There is a part in the '99-up 4EAT transmission that I believe is called a piston. I couldn't believe the first one I saw! The dang thing is made of aluminum, not steel!

These have a lot of stress put on them, and definitely effect the shifting. We decided to stock new ones as a matter of course.

Emily
http://www.ccrengines.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users