Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ into EA Condensed

NoahDL88

TTT..

Its now May. Where do these ongoing conversions currently stand?

Its either a cheap EJ swap or I get freaky with a Mazda 13b... mmmm rotary... :slobber:

I'm still working on the mods for the Impreza front suspension to BOLT to the Brat. Tried to do the welding myself but it looked a little unsafe. I was able to weld in the front left inner fender (where the Impreza fusebox and battery fit) but since this is my first time welding my spot welds look ok but I just couldn't lay down a 'good' bead yet. I'm going to pay someone to weld the suspension brackets as I don't care if a rocker panel or something falls off, but not the lower control arm. Rather be safe than sorry;). Gary

the 4 speed is a nice tranny, its just not made to handle the power that an EJ18 or EJ22 can put out, the 5 speed D/R is used in turbo RX's, with different gearing mind you, but still same design tranny, you could put in the 4 speed, but the 5 speed has better gearing for highway and city, dont know the figures for the low range. but for the most part, the 4 speed just cant handle the power, you MIGHT be able to get away with using a EJ18, 110 horsepower instead of the EJ22's 130 or so. but that is up to you, and how many tranny you want to go thru before you change your mind, better to do it right the first time, even if it takes you twice as long.

~Josh~

Right, Right Agreed there. Do it right the first time and then improve from there. I will definently go the 5 spd route when I do the EJ22 swap. Thanks for the great info Everyone!!!!!! For now I am going with the SPFI conversion and a 4" lift.