Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Been There Done It ...(Rubicon Report)

mudrat79

Originally posted by Zapar

hehe If they were at Spyder Lake and didn't see us, it's because they took the easy way in thru Loon Lake and not thru the Gate Keeper like we did. It would have been impossible to miss us on the trail we were on. When the Toyotathon is over, they'll most likely drive home and have plenty to say.

(Did you know that locally, the Pirates are reguarded as the assholes of the trail? They're the ones known to gladly strip your stuck vehicle and the ones drinking and shooting guns, leaving garbage and parts behind?)

We never did make it to Spyder or the Sluece. We made it about 2 miles from the Sluece. We ran out of spare parts, and didn't wanna be dicks and possibly block the trail for the hundred or so Yotas coming thru in groups of 20 about once an hour on Friday. The people we explained this to didn't say we were pussies for deciding this. They gave us respect for repecting them and the trail. They thought we were unlike most idiots who would insist on proving a point and continuing. We had already done the Gate Keeper, the Slab, and Walker's Hill. 2 of the 3 are listed among the "most difficult" on the map's legend. We were satisfied.

More and more stories soon. Pics also, I promise. The video will take a little while. You've waited 10 months, another won't be so bad. :brow:

Zap

"jeeps. . . taste like chicken"

And one more thing, the way you get to GateKeeper is thru Loon Lake. Just to Clarify, did you come in thru Loon Lake or in thru Wentworth Springs Rd? If you came in Wentworth Springs you did NOT go thru the GateKeeper, you went up Post Pile.

I made a point of re-wording my statement to say that I didn't mean club members as much as guys from the bulletin board. . . One of the guys telling us stopped himself, and reworded assholes to say that they were called rump roast "hats". For some reason, the post didn't go thru, but I walked away from the computer thinking it had. Don't wanna start a fight, wanna brag about what we accomplished. Anybody would have to be impressed by what we did.

We did find plenty of parts, and we thru them in with our garbage.

We heard 50/50 as to whether the post pile and gatekeeper were the same. . . If the post pile isn't the gate keeper, it may as well have been.

Bravo guys. Glad to see everybody made it through (or 1/2 way... whatever) and was able to drive home afterwards.

I'll admit, I had my doubts. But only because I am most likely the only other USMB Member, other than NV Zeno and you guys, who have seen the trail in person. But I knew if anybody would have a successful run, it would be the hatch patrol and John's group :)

Cant wait for pictures. And you know i want video.

:clap:

-Brian

I just got done watching the video over at Eric's house. WOW!!! I'm truly impressed. It is indeed the toughest looking trail i've ever seen on video (or in person for that matter). The three rigs handled it very well.

Eric's camera work was superb. I especially liked the still photo's of the welding w/ the sound in the background. Very Cool.

Let me get in line for this video, its definately going to be worth the wait to own.

Hey guys I am glad to hear everybody and their vehicle made it home under their own power. I am Proud of you guys for working together so well in getting thru the trail and proving what a Subaru can do.

*walks to the back of the line to wait for a video/DVD*--I am happy to wait until all the non "honorary" hatch patrolers get their copy as they should get dibs over me.

Hey Zap! Glad to hear that it went good( I knew that it would) And I'm very glad that I got to meet U inpeson at last:-) (Schuck's Auto in Medford)

I'll get in line for the vid. too. ( hope U do a DVD agen ) I must say that I didn't think that Un-hatched would be the 1st to break :eek: . With John's lift still untested, I thought that it would be the 1st. We can now say with certanty that "Subarus have done the 'Con!":D And U went the x-tra mile (or 30) to have the proof!

BRAVO!!!

Hey Guys

I think you need to get some stuff straight, before you going running off thinking that you've conquered the Rubicon.

A - The Trail is 23 Miles long. Not 6.

B - You Came in AFTER Jeepers Jamboree, which is considered "paved", which is the easiest of the season.

C - Those guys crawling out of their "30,000" Landcruisers were doing so because they couldn't beleive such booger welded garbage was running down the trail, still in one piece. 12" of lift? on a Uni Body? And you drive it on the Highway? They weren't impressed, they were shocked.

D - They guy with the broken transfer case at the base of Walker Hill runs the trail a 2 - 3 times a year and has every year for 10 years. With the same transfer case. It finally broke.

E - The "VAST MAJORITY" DON'T bypass gate keeper. It's called Gate Keeper for a reason. If you can't make it through that, you shouldn't run the trail.

F - We had heard that you didn' actually make it all the way to the top of Walker, and turned around and went home at that point.

I respect that you got out there and attempted the trail. But don't start capping on what we've built, how much we've spent, or what board we're on.

As for people who are out stripping parts on the trail, they are punks. Plain and simple. POR sponsors Trail clean ups every year. Yes, members do enjoy to party at the sluice. Guns? not sure where you got that one. If you're going to start throwing around accusations like that, better have some facts to back them up.

Ross Woody

72 FJ-40

Woody. What's in a name? :banana:

Heard gun shots coming from the group of jeeps camped a mile from us first night. They also had a huge bon-fire even though the burn ban was on. We camped by flashlight all 3 nights. Saw shot gun shells every where we stopped. 6 whitnesses.

We feel like we conquered and did what we set out to do. (hand me 30 grand, and I'll build a soob that will go anywhere like most of the rigs we saw. Let's see you pull of 1/10th of what we did with what we had to work with.) You go on and believe that we didn't get a million congrats and props for the little soobs. You don't know anything but what you've read or made up.

btw, the guys with the broken t-case were pretty cool. If you don't think they liked what they saw, the sound track of my footage has their voices right on it.

Who gives a flying f what you think or know? You wouldn't believe what I'm telling you even if you were watching the video of it while I told you. You are in the same group of people who were in complete denial every time they saw Ken's little 3 inch lifted brat with 27s parked somewhere along the trail with 0 dents on it from the trail.

Hater. :moon:

Camp fires are permitted with burn permits, available at ranger stations.

Many people will shoot off guns, or mortars to ward of bears. You are in bear country.

As for $30 K? I don't think there were too many, if any that would qualify as $30K rigs. Maybe $10K. A bone Stock FJ40 went through. You could pick that up for $1500. Bone stock Minis go through all the time.

I know the guys with the broken Transfer case. One of the Sub guys was capping on the fact the a toyota guy broke going up Walker hill. Big friggin deal. I guarantee you he did NOT like the 12" lifted Subaru.

We had a 97 Land Cruiser, with 2" of lift and 33's make it ALL the way through suffer ONE ding. and NO breaks. And he made it from Ice house to Spider in 4 hours? and Spider to the springs in 7? and up Cadillac in 4 more. This thing was a virgin, untouched rig. One mod - Sliders. Helped a bunch though.

Hey Guys, I havn’t come here to flame. Read my original posts in the Rubicon forum if you doubt my intentions. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=137239&referrerid=1234

That said… cock swinging and pissing contests will get you no where fast. You are complaining about people bashing your rides, yet you bash theirs. Neither of you understand the other’s very well… So what’s the point? other than proving you can talk some smack about someone behind their back.

My next issue is the here-say about the Pirates as the “assholes” of the trail. Here again someone spouted off here-say information, which quite a few of you have complained about happening to you. I have learned through confrontational situations on the trail that I DO NOT point a finger at anyone unless I have witnessed their dirty deed with my own eyes. Any different opens up a can of worms you probably don’t want.

Yes the rubicon has MANY problems, drunk derelicts, shooting, trash and sheet are just the beginning. Anyone can bitch about it, but unless you’re part of the solution… you are part of the problem. I do what I can to help and so do the Pirates. They’ve taken a lot of sheet from the 4x community. Some members have made mistakes, but who doesn’t? they are just people, not gods. But because they have a pirate flag I guess everyone makes a martyr out of them. It’s total B.S. and everytime I’ve gone to a none pirate meeting/trail maint function, there have been pirate members there…

One great thing about the internet, anyone can talk serious smack behind their keyboard and probably never get called on it. On the other hand, talk smack on PBB etc, visit any of the well known trails and you can be damn sure you’ll have to deal with a real live person face to face sooner or later. Think about it.

As far as the comments about 30k buggies… total fluff. I’m not claiming there aren’t any worth that and more on the Con. But the reality is: the minority aren’t the majority. Most rigs on the trail are just that “trail rigs” that don’t have anything anywhere near that into them.

Anyways, looks like you guys had fun and tore some sheet up. Come back next year and run the whole trail :banana:. I’ll join in and show you how worthless my 10k truck is :D

Thru arguing with you guys. Seems we didn't go thru the gatekeeper. We'll remain satisfied with the post pile.

I didn't really care to spout off to the Pirate Board about our trip before the trip, don't wanna talk to you guys now either. Wish you'd go away.

No more stories and photos.

I'll release video when it becomes copy righted. If you wanna eat your words about what I say our little Soobs are capable of, buy the video when it comes out. I'll give the two of you a money back guarrantee, just like I always have. Nobody's ever asked for their money back, I've sold quite a few copies of parts 1-4 of my series to date. Didn't care if you guys knew about it or watched what we're into before, but I tell you this video is as good as 90%+ that you can get your hands on short of Rock Crawling Championships.

DO wish you'd go away though.

Oh yeah,

Fire permits were not being issued, we DID go to the Ranger's Station and ask for one.

Woody... if you came to poke fun, or critisize, then i advise you leave... or find yourself banned.

DangerRanger, consider yourself welcome as long as you respect the members of this board. This IS NOT the Pirate4x4 board, and we do not tollerate the type of attitude the members of the Pirate4x4 board promote.

Unless you have a bravo, or some constructive critisism to add, then leave and dont forget to shut the door behind you.

-Brian

:-p QMAN,MUDRAT,ZAP&ANTHONY....Thank's for sharing the trail!!I don't think anyone could made better trail pard's on this trip,thanks for being you.As for fire permits,they were not giving,because of fire level.(this can be verified threw the ranger station)ZAP you forgot the 6mm shells I found(in 3 differnt parts of the trail)and packed out,plus the other trash,we all packed out.TO THE LAST GUY POSTING I don't care whose rig is bigger ,better,cost more,or how big YOU THINK you're B-lls are,Lumpycam built UNHATCHED from the ground up low dollar,with his own mind,hands and HIS abuilty(you've done pissed me off)so If you are MAN enough just come on up meet the rig meet theMAN ,Than if you want to run you're mouth at least you can have enough Gut's to do it face to face!!!!!!!!Phone us when you get you're bad self to Spokane,and yes we will run the con next year, and this woman will drive her rig,without haven to piss on rocks to prove manhood or rachet jaw crap:madder:

Woody, why do you think people have the impression of the POR? My guess is it's people like you who shoot of their mouths with nothing to gain. Maybe you should go back and read any and all the posts on your board. If you feel bad because we tried what hadn't been done before or threatened because of where we did indeed get to Oh well. We did have damage just like any other participant on the trail could expect. So, why is it such a big deal that we broke things? Oh, BTW, I only broke one thing and it took 15minutes to fix. I didn't have rocker or chassis damage. My door all work just fine and as a matter of fact it looks the same now as it did coming off the trailer going in.

See ya' I'm out.

We went there with 3 different experimental rigs. 2 broke plenty, we fixed them every time. The solution as to how to make them wheel better has been figured out. We spent most of our conversation on how to improve what had been fabbed. Your punk rump roast can call it bootie fab all you like, you can't bug us with taunts and jabs. Punks like you have been giving us flack the whole time, read the very thread you posted about the bootie fab on.

Would be nice to just be able to order what we need from Nappa or Les Schwabb like you would.

Your doubt and hate didnt' stop us from going down there and giving it our best shot. We went anyways and had a blast doing it. Picked up a lot of what was probably your trash.

Now we're back, you hate it so you jump on here and give us crap still. Up yours.

Makes me have no doubts my statements about the Pirate Board are pretty true with pricks like you representing them.

:-p hey ZAP,U can Email me personal,or get our# from Q,or Mud,ok???we don't need to waste time:argue: ing with nobraine celled inerbreeders,come on up if want some!!!!!!!!!it doesnt matter if CHICKEN tastes like some jeep&ranger folk,so does SNAKE!!!!!!!!!and there apenion(ape nion,get it?)is like the dog pooh you shake off you're shoe:burnout: Brad in BF,ID were home,give a shout when U have free time.;)

I agree with Zap on this one. Don't go running your mouth unless you have the guts to back it up. Call our cars jimmy rigged, yeah, we have to MAKE all this stuff, with our own two hands. Lets see you make a 12 inch lift for your rig, with your own two hands. Yes, when they first talked about it, I had my doubts, but didn't say anything but words of encouragement, and I applaud them all for their efforts, and I am looking forward to hopefully spectating next year if they go (Don't quite have the off-road experience these guys do, and I dont' want to hinder them)

Zap, I've got your first video, what do you want for the other 3 + the Rubicon video? I'll make sure to have some $$ set aside for it when the 'Con video comes out.

This guy "nasvik" on the pirate board seems to be pretty decent, but he did make one kinda funny comment:

"But I'm sorry..... a 12" lifted Subaru isn't really a Subaru anymore. A 4" lifted Brat on 27s running the trail is cool. "

And yet his "Jeep" (as he calls it) has quite a few decidedly non-Jeep parts on it. IE 6" lift, modified body, way-low gearing, etc. Oh, well. I guess it's all in how you look at it. John's car was still mostly Subaru parts. I call it a Subaru.

BTW: I do think it's cool that nasvik is still running his rig with the 4-banger.