Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cam belt install last minute checks

thanks to leg777 for the FSM downloads re: torque specs. a couple of items for which there remain questions:

1. the A/C belt tensioner bracket - 2 bolts M8x30, haynes says M8 is 14-21 ft-lb. gotta' spec for these?

2. the part that says: "...remove rocker cover to ensure that the valve lash adjuster contains no air." - i have never heard of this admonishment, however, i'm assuming it doesn't apply to me as i have solid lifters. whats up here?

3. the part that says: "...apply engine oil to pulley bolt and seat." - the blue loctite crowd has beaten this to death. what IS proper here?

4. 2-step crank bolt tightening sequence - 1st step to 33 ft-lb, 2nd step a "bolt tightening angle of at least 45 degrees (or replace the bolt)," and final torque spec of 94 +7.2/-3.6 ft-lb.

the correct crank bolt torque has also been beaten to death here, some saying 120+ ft-lb. this is not a M14 bolt which haynes says is 80-140 ft-lb. haynes calls an M12 at 50-71 ft-lb. the crank bolt measures out at 13mm, right in the middle, maybe 95-100 ft-lb is more appropriate. what do y'all think?

ps- hope not boring people, just a poor ole former 928 mechanic trying to make do w/o a hard copy FSM in front of old squinty eyes.

99 leg l sedan 2.2l 5-sp 30 anniv, 2.5 tensioner