Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everybody!

I have a 1998 Impreza Sport Outback Wagon. It's been really good to me during our harsh Winters up here in Montreal.. but right now, it won't start. It turns over great (new battery), but won't catch. Seems to only happen when it's really cold out. This happened a few weeks ago, but when the weather warmed up, it started fine.

Someone suggested that the spark plug wires could be at fault.. (a quick fix is WD40 on them).

Any ideas?.. When it's really cold - I need it to start the most!

Thanks,

Jack

PS.. "really cold" is like -15 celcius, or 5 Farenheit or lower - and I already have gasline antifreeze in.

Hi, welcome to the board from a fellow montrealer.

I think lots of sensors could be at fault here: temp sensor, crank and cam sensor, etc. No fault codes?

Hi everybody!

PS.. "really cold" is like -15 celcius, or 5 Farenheit or lower - and I already have gasline antifreeze in.

Where have you been? It's been -25 at least here the last few days!

You're ruining my reputation as a north country tough guy! :-\

.. I went easy on the temperatures, I know. Just did it so people didn't think I lived in an igloo, and was going in to town for a "blubber run".

Sorry, I'm not really a good car guy... what do you mean about the sensors?..

Merci pour ta réponse!

.. I went easy on the temperatures, I know. Just did it so people didn't think I lived in an igloo, and was going in to town for a "blubber run".

Sorry, I'm not really a good car guy... what do you mean about the sensors?..

Merci pour ta réponse!

The sensors are small electrical apparatus that send info to the engine's computer (ECU) about various parameters. With that info the ECU controls the engine's ignition system and fuel system.

The coolant sensor tells the ECU what is the engine temp. If faulty, the ECU «thinks» the engine is hot when cold, sends an insufficient amount of gas and the engine does'nt start. Or it tells the ECU the engine is cold when in fact it is hot. The ECU sends too much gas and flood the engine which again does'nt start.

The cam and crank sensors tell the ECU when the pistons are on the admission or compression stroke, etc. There are also other sensors. They perform similar functions. Most of the time when one of more of these sensors detect a fault or are themselves at fault, you get a «check engine» lignt and retrieval of the fault codes give you some clues about what's wrong.

Stay tuned and other will probably give you more help.