Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where can you find EJ22 on a 2.2?

I have a 95 Subaru Impreza L. It has a replacement hood (I think) because of hail damage. Anyway the repalcement hood says it has a 1.8. It looks very similar to my 2.2 in my old legacy. I've never seen a 1.8 before. What are the differences besides displacement and what should I be looking for. Don't want to buy 1.8 parts for a 2.2! Thanks

I've never seen a 1.8 before. What are the differences besides displacement and what should I be looking for. Don't want to buy 1.8 parts for a 2.2! Thanks
A little known tidbit also is...What does the grill look like? If it is painted the same color as the car you have the 1.8. If it is gray and has two vertical dividers in it you have the 2.2 engine.(I have a '95 Impreza Outback with the gray grill and it's a 2.2). Gary

I have a 95 Subaru Impreza L. It has a replacement hood (I think) because of hail damage. Anyway the repalcement hood says it has a 1.8. It looks very similar to my 2.2 in my old legacy. I've never seen a 1.8 before. What are the differences besides displacement and what should I be looking for. Don't want to buy 1.8 parts for a 2.2! Thanks
The 2.2 was first available in 95, but it only came with an automatic tranny.

That's odd, my kid just bought a '93 Impreza and it has the 2.2L engine. I think it even says 2.2 above the rear bumper on the right. And it's a mnual 5 speed.

Yeah, if you have a 93 and it has a 2.2, it was put in by someone. 93 and 94 they only came with the 1.8. I believe only the AWDs only came in automatic. In 95 you could get the 2.2, but only with a FWD 5spd, or an AWD Auto. Then in 96 they offered the LX which was the first you could get 2.2 AWD 5spd in an Impreza. Really kind of crappy.

It's a EJ18. Wish it was the EJ22 but it feels like it has more power than my old 95 legacy Brighton Wagon. Odd?

I've got both (literally, I have a 95 Brighton wagon and I just bought my stepfather a 93 impreza 1.8 AWD) and yes the power feels about the same. The torque multiplication of the automatic makes the car accelerate off the line just as fast as the wagon. On the highway at higher speeds the lack of power becomes more apparent, but especially for around town driving it's a peppy little car.

Keith

Ooops. Sorry, I mis-remembered the year. James' Impreza is a '96 so the manual transmission as well as the 2.2L engine is understandable. He obviously got a better deal than I thought; for the price he paid I thought he got a '93.

Well check out Joe's web site (Joe at Carter Subaru), http://www.cars101.com/impreza_archive93_96.html , the first year it shows an Impreza with a 2.2 is 1995.

Well check out Joe's web site (Joe at Carter Subaru), http://www.cars101.com/impreza_archive93_96.html , the first year it shows an Impreza with a 2.2 is 1995.
Joe's web site is done very well, but there is one mistake in the 1995 info. The Outback option on the station wagon did not include rear disc brakes and ABS, got one and those sure look like drum brakes to me. Gary