Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello Everybody,

My Impreza '93 started to get overheated couple of months ago. Overflow tank was full and a lot of coolant was spilled around it. I got my car to mechanic and he said that my radiator needed to be replaced together with a cooling system flush. When I got back to pick my car mechanic told me that the car was still overheating so he took out thermostat (he thought that water pump did work well, but I didn't change it at that time). Two days ago I had to change my water pump, because I start leaking. The same mechanic put back thermostat and my old problem came back: coolant spilling from my overflow tank and car heats up when I moving in the traffic. Mechanic doesn't have any solution to it :((((((((((((

Does anybody have any ideas!?

THANKS A LOTTTTTT!

Hello Everybody,

My Impreza '93 started to get overheated couple of months ago. Overflow tank was full and a lot of coolant was spilled around it. I got my car to mechanic and he said that my radiator needed to be replaced together with a cooling system flush. When I got back to pick my car mechanic told me that the car was still overheating so he took out thermostat (he thought that water pump did work well, but I didn't change it at that time). Two days ago I had to change my water pump, because I start leaking. The same mechanic put back thermostat and my old problem came back: coolant spilling from my overflow tank and car heats up when I moving in the traffic. Mechanic doesn't have any solution to it :((((((((((((

Does anybody have any ideas!?

THANKS A LOTTTTTT!

Did they check the electric fan, relay, sending unit?

Did they pressure test the cooling system?

Is their any exhaust smell in the antifreeze?

Coolent hoses in good condition (they will collapse sometimes if old).

FYI, you should never remove the thermostat, that's a good way to damage an engine (especially in cold weather). The fact that the mechanic did this as a solution leads me to believe he doesn't fully understand the cooling system.

my .02

I am not sure if mechanic tested pressure in the cooling system. I guess he did not.

Antifreeze smells normal to me. Both fans seem to work fine, and I didn't notice any bubbles in the overflow tank. Do you think some air could get into the system (while water pump was leaking (??) or because of loose/bad hose)?

Mechanic was trying to convince me that removing the thermostat wouldn’t make any damage to the engine it will only increase time to warm up during winter. I think it was my last visit to this mechanic.

I noticed a little change in engine sound. But it might be because I didn't drive this car for a while - my wife did.

Was it correctly burped? Subarus with air bubbles do funny things. There is empirical evidence to support the position that the whole head gaskket brauhaha may be linked to improper refilling the quirky flat-four.