Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which Weber carb best for EA81

I may be needing to replace my stock Carter-Weber on my 83 dl 1.8. I have read a little about various Weber carbs that are out there. What am I looking for ideally? Should I plan on moving to a manual choke? Can I put a used Hitashi on this car? Would I want to? Please share your experience. I am planning to take a walk around a big U Pull it tomorrow.

With the Stock Carter Weber on the EA81, you're pretty limited without changing the intake manifold or finding someone to make an adapter. To install the Hitachi, or the after market Weber you will need another intake. The Carter/Weber bolts to the manifold with 2 bolts. The Hitachi bolts with 4.

I had the Carter Weber on my engine and was set on changing over to the Hitachi. I found a used intake for $40 and bought a remanufactured Hitachi for $175. I went to a manual choke.

I plan on switching over to the after market Weber, which comes with the adapter. Only thing holding me back is the price... I've been quoted $380 for the Weber..

What does DGEV stand for? And what does 32/36 refer to? Sorry for the basic questions, but this is where I am at. What is the advantage of the Hitachi over the Carter Weber, and of the Weber over the Hitachi? My main goal is to have reliable transportation, not necessarily high performance.

It is all about size and flow. The Carter Weber is VERY small for the engine. The Hitachi is larger, but requires a fair amount of maitenece, and is very difficult to rebuild (speaking from expierence). The Weber DGV is very reliable, gives you a performance boost, and it is easier to find replacements, and it is more efficent if jetted properly (custom work). The Weber is very easy to rebuild too. My family had one on a car years ago that I worked on, and I really like it.

Mudboat - Why were you quotes so much? Find a list of cars that had them, get the carb from the junkyard and rebuild it. Webers are very easy to rebuild.

By the way -

DGV - manual choke

DGEV - electric choke

Other than that, I don't know what the letters stand for.

pick your poison - they each have their advantages but I would not stick with the Carter Weber because it is way too small for the engine.

Weber DGEV's are really common and easy to fix I have noticed that Carb. prices have gone through the roof, a rebuilt Hitachi for an EA82 is well over $250 everywhere I checked, so I converted to SPFI when my carb died. Rebuild kits are pretty cheap, especially for something as common as a Weber - if you can handle a zillion small objects - it is best $-wise if you find one and do it yourself. Webers are very easy to rebuild too. I have no idea how much an adaptor costs, so I can't say how much the conversion would cost overall.

Here's some of the common designations you'll see..

The numbers designate the size of the barrel. 32 pri/36mm secondary. In reality, in the weber 32/36, the venturi's are 26/27mm respectively.

DGEV - dg series, electric choke, variable

DGAV - dg series, water choke, variable

DFAV/DFEV, same as above, but df series, same as DG, but throttle plates are mirrored left to right. DF series are common in volkswagen swaps.. throttle on the opposite side.

DGES/DGAS, same as above, but synchronous. as both barrels open at the same time, as opposed to the variable above, which opens primary first, then the secondary begins to open at ~66% throttle application. The DGxS models are commonly found in the 38/38mm variety.

A common 32/36 DGEV is what you'd want to look for. The adapter plate makes things interesting, as its just one more thing to buy, but in the end, the Weber is the best option overall when put up head to head against the hicrappy or carter carbs.

Rebuild kits run around $65 or so.. I know, I just bought one for my own Weber. :D

Cheers. :drunk:

YES! Upgrade to the Weber. Your Suby will thank you a million times over. It's easy to work on and will give lots of reliable miles. The hitachi works great when it feels like it. My two sisters each have a 87 gl wagon with the hitachi. One is happy as a lark. The other has been overhauled twice and it's still not right.