Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fan/battery problems

Okay, I have a 91' Loyale and my battery was failing when I turned on the head lights and turned the wheel. So anyways I replaced the alternator and even bought a new battery in the process and once I pick the car up from the shop its still doing the same thing. I then turned on the fan and all the red lights would go on the dash so I took the fuse that is connected to the fan out of the fuse box and Shazzaam the problem was fixed. SO does anyone know what was going on and if there is still something im missing and have to deal with? I would be happy to explain any shortfalls in my explaination, thanks.

do you mean the heater fan or the radiator fan? turn it on, is it connected to a switch?

as far as the radiator fan the circuit for it is live all the time in acc and run pos. and the curcuit grounds thru the thermo switch, turning it on. also the ac pressure switches will kick it on when the ac is running. if the fan seems to run all the time, or draining the alt, there must be a short to ground somewhere along the line, explaining how pulling the fuse stopped the matter

I actually have mine set up so that it runs all the time - I don't know what is causing your problem because my car doesn't have it at all. I can have my cooling fan on, headlights on, and A/C blower at max without draining anything. I wonder if the fan is pulling too much power, but not enough to blow the fuse.

yeah, its the heater fan I am speaking of as far as i know the radiator fan is working. The thing is though its doing it again yet not as bad. I found that there was a higher fuse in my spfi that wasent supposed to be there and it was blown so i replaced it with a 15. This seemed to make it work alot more smoothly. Do you or anyone else know what the spfi is and also at what psi the car should normally run at. As far as I know the psi is supposed to be at 45 but its a lttle low, just a side question. The problem is obviosly electrical but what i dont understand is why when i turn the wheel it was draining the battery. WHen the problem would occur i would have a high idle and all the red lights would go on. Is it a possibility it needs a new timing belt?

Unless you have a low idle RPM, the SPFI system should be fine. Sometimes the blowers "clog up" with various sorts of leafy crap (like pine needles) and the inner ductwork's insulation. This will cause the motor to rotate slower than it should, heat up, and demand more power. I would suggest pulling the motor and cleaning the "cage" (the actual fan blades) on it. That *should* fix your problem.

However, if you got your alt. from a discount auto store (pepboys/advance/autozone), they have quality issues with their rebuilt stuff, so your alt. could still have an issue. I'd also check wiring.