Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intake Manifold

I'm trying to do the HG on the passenger side of my EA82T. Managed to break off one of the intake manifold bolts (the long one of course). I wasn't planning on taking off the intake manifold, but since the bolt broke I need to. Trouble is I've got all six (well the five remaining) bolts out and the manifold won't budge even the slightest bit. I've tried persuading it, but it won't go.

Is there more holding the manifold (MPFI of course) to the heads beside the six bolts? Or is it just the old gaskets sealing the manifold to the heads?

Anyone had this problem, and how did you break it free?

I haven't messed much with an MPFI car - so I don't know them, but I will say I don't see any more bolts in the manual.

I recently removed the intake on mine and it did take a good amount of coaxing :rolleyes:

My bet would be that that bolt that broke off is rusted to the intake manifold. This is a REALLY crazy idea - but if you have enough space - you might try to remove the head AND the manifold at the same time.

Heat the ERG tube threads and CH mount with a propane torch then try to tighten it a mm or two, that should get the seal to crack and move, it worked for me. Other wise that nut can strip easily.

There a couple of bolts associated with a/c mounting as well.

yup - it's like she's superglued:banghead:

My bet would be that that bolt that broke off is rusted to the intake manifold.
this does sound likely you might get a pry bar and carefully pry striaght up on it.

if you do mess the manifold up getting it off, i have a bunch and could send you one for the cost of shipping

oh just noticed your in canada so shipping would problly be more than a junk yard would want for one

I haven't messed much with an MPFI car - so I don't know them, but I will say I don't see any more bolts in the manual.

I recently removed the intake on mine and it did take a good amount of coaxing :rolleyes:

My bet would be that that bolt that broke off is rusted to the intake manifold. This is a REALLY crazy idea - but if you have enough space - you might try to remove the head AND the manifold at the same time.

BINGO. You guessed it.

Finally got the manifold to budge and the head slid far enough away from the block to get over the dowels. Hammers can be your friend when wielded properly:brow:

The bolt is totally rusted to the manifold - I can spin the head on the threads, but the shaft is stuck right in there. Can't drill it out cause I already broke off an easy-out in the bolt and a drill won't go through it. Time for some heat and more hammering...

Thanx for the input guys:drunk:

BINGO. You guessed it.

Finally got the manifold to budge and the head slid far enough away from the block to get over the dowels. Hammers can be your friend when wielded properly:brow:

The bolt is totally rusted to the manifold - I can spin the head on the threads, but the shaft is stuck right in there. Can't drill it out cause I already broke off an easy-out in the bolt and a drill won't go through it. Time for some heat and more hammering...

Thanx for the input guys:drunk:

Hey, glad to hear that you finally got it out and that it just needed some force like I was telling you the whole time, haha.

if you can manage to get enough gap to put a blade in there, you can cut it out. obviously be very careful, but i've done it before. seriously annoying. not sure what it is about these intake bolts but every XT6 (and one XT) that i work on has this problem on at least one bolt. i've done 4 or 5 head gasket jobs and this can be the worst part of the whole process on some jobs.

dump lots of liquid wrench down the hole as well if you want to try to work it loose.

how about a punch or a long metal rod stuffed down the hole and then start pounding? nothing is connected, so eventually it would seem it would have to come out. i'm thinking a properly set up press would push it out in no time with no risk to the parts.

This happened to me. It was the worlds biggest pain. We spent a good couple days, heating it, spraying it, hitting it, prying it, and swearing at it. Tried an easy out CAREFULLY, yet unsuccessfully, but It looks like you got that stuck, which makes the way we finally got it off difficult. WE just kept slowly drilling down that bolt, until the intake manifold had almost no bolt left to stick to, good luck, i feel your pain.

The latest...

I got the manifold off and actually removed the head by spinning it off the seized bolt:lol:

The manifold is fubared - that bolt is totally stuck in there - tried heat, drill (but that won't work because of the broken easy-out), pounding, more heat & pounding all to no avail. No chance of getting a blade in there and cutting it out. Lesson learned - shoulda drilled to begin with, and skipped the easy-out.

How much meat is there on the aluminum around the hole? I think I might try drilling around it a little, but I might end up in the coolant passage - oh well nothing to lose now...

Prolly off to the JY on Saturday to find me an intake manifold.

Update?

I'm coming down Sat. maybe I can stare it down for ya. Stupid bolt. Truly maddening, now all you need is for the GF to give you grief for wasteing so much time on that old car:lol:.

No doubt... actually she's been really cool about it - even made me cookies last night. Must be that "motherly instinct" kicking in - she's getting round:lol:

You know what, I happen to have a turbo manifold off an 87 turbo wagon in my shed that I have no need for. Theres also an 85 or 86 turbo sedan at RCU auto in sooke. Either way, you guys should stop by and check out my ru, and I'll come along. I sorta know Roland, the guy that runs the place. He's always amazed at how fast I disassemble his subarus :brow:

You should call RCU to make sure its there, I'm 99% sure it will be, and probably untouched as well. 642-1524 is his #

I'm all over that intake manifold Bushbasher:headbang: I was gunna call Roland tomorrow and check cuase that manifold was there the last time I was there (about 6 weeks ago) but if you got one, I got some bevies for ya:drunk:

Roland is a cool guy and great prices too.

I just PMd Trev and told him we should swing out to Sooke so we'll have to hook up for sure.

ya guys head on over. I gots to show off my wagon, and drool all over Trevor's tires and motor :lol: I just brought the manifold out from the shed. I'll be home all day Sat, work from 10am-6pm on Sun. and 6am-12pm on weekdays. I gave trev my # but I'll give you mine 642-6441

Sounds like you guys will have a fun day at the yard and drooling over subes. I'm gonna need to make a trip eventually, but tomorrow I am working on cleaning up a '94 loyale to sell....

yours??? or a friends?

You sure you don't wanna come:brow: It's be a real rally:lol:

ya guys head on over. I gots to show off my wagon, and drool all over Trevor's tires and motor :lol: I just brought the manifold out from the shed. I'll be home all day Sat, work from 10am-6pm on Sun. and 6am-12pm on weekdays. I gave trev my # but I'll give you mine 642-6441

Lookin forward to it. Talked to trev - looks like we'll be out around 11ish. My little stock wagon is itchin to watch some real wheelin:grin:

yours??? or a friends?

You sure you don't wanna come:brow: It's be a real rally:lol:

A friends. I dont even think I have time to start working on mine this weekend. Wheeling does sound tempting though...

If you wanna pick up some stuff for me from the yard that would be nice :grin:

• heater blower fan resistor
  • pair of mudflaps
  • front left plastic wheel-well thingy-ma-bob
  • piece of trim around the radio
  • the tray under the radio (from a car with no cassette)
  • 2 loyale "spoke" looking hubcaps.

If any of that is around at good Roland prices, I'll pay you back later. I gotta make this Loyale look good. As you can see it needs some work after removing all the dirt from it, haha.