Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The car Subaru never built... but should have.

And the car I just might build.

The all new SUBARU RX 2 DOOR COUPE

SubaruGL2door.jpg

The sporty styling of a 2 door with the light weight and stiffer tail of a sedan. Now imagine it with an intercooled, 4 cam, EJ22T 5MT drive train... thats my dream.

You just gotta love Photoshop.

Gary

P.S. A guy just test drove my Datsun and he wants it (just needs to sell his Volvo first), if he comes through with the money I may be in the market for a solid 3-door (Qman?), an EJ swap doner and a sedan for parts.:brow:

I know this was recently debated in another thread (and don’t really want to rehash it here), but I think the glass weight offsets the extra metal. If you look at the curb weights for similarly equipped EA82 cars the sedan is always the lightest.

I have been thinking about this for a long time, I think it looks very clean and trim… less dated bubble back ’80 something econo hatchback. Maybe a bit more generic or traditional, but then I’ve always liked 4 door Chevy Impalas and Volvo wagons.

BTW, I still think the wagon is the best looking EA82 body style.

I’ve rarely been called normal

Gary

I know I didnt see it, but I swear back in high school when I still drove my mom's OBS that I saw an RX 2 door sedan. I know it was really a 3 door or a sedan.... but man it looked JUST LIKE THAT! Maybe its cause I drove past it too fast :lol:

Before I knew better I was actually kinda looking for a 2 door sedan, but when I discovered the internet and stuff I found they only made 3 EA82 body styles :banghead:

He's probably talking about the DOHC EJ22 turbo that's found in the Impreza 22B.
Actually I was thinking about the JDM Legacy DOHC heads or the early JDM WRX heads (closed deck) on a EJ22T with custom forged pistons. But sure a 22B would be nice, maybe I dont dream big enough.

I really expected more responce to this... where are all the haters?:lol:

Gary

BTW, another car on my "they should have built" list is a 2 seat, mid engine, RWD XT6... a true sports car, I'd love to biuld that one too.

...BTW, another car on my "they should have built" list is a 2 seat, mid engine, RWD XT6... a true sports car, I'd love to biuld that one too.
During the many hours available during the last 2 weeks to contemplate my navel, I was also thinking midengine...

... taking a wagon, lengthening it with a rear section, installing an ea82t (now *I* wasn't thinking big enough!) in the back-seat region, and an AWD tranny behind it. The front shafts service the normal rear wheels, and the rear output nearly-direct-connects to a diff, servicing a set of wheels just behind the others. Tandem rear axles! (Thus the reason for the added section.) Maybe rework SW into Brat-like rear end, and then you have a really weird truck.

(What, nurse? Time for my lithium? OK...)

I have been thinking about this for a long time, I think it looks very clean and trim… less dated bubble back ’80 something econo hatchback. I still think the wagon is the best looking EA82 body style.

I’ve rarely been called normal

Gary

I agree, My wife's first 'RU was an 85 4WD 4dr Sedan. I added the turbo rear spoiler (little glue-on black one) a 2dr without that stupid rear hatch should have been the way Subaru made it in the first place. You should have seen the disappointed looks on the salesmans faces when the first one (3 dr hatch) showed up at the dealership I was working at back then. Gary (also rarely called normal) in Ohio :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

Funny, I took a long look at my RX awhile back, tape in hand. Sedan trunk and rear window close by. It would take a lot of work, I hate the back of the 3 door coupe, also yerning for the 2 door coupe.

I love the picture you worked up...

And the car I just might build.

The all new SUBARU RX 2 DOOR COUPE

SubaruGL2door.jpg

The sporty styling of a 2 door with the light weight and stiffer tail of a sedan. Now imagine it with an intercooled, 4 cam, EJ22T 5MT drive train... thats my dream.

You just gotta love Photoshop.

Gary

P.S. A guy just test drove my Datsun and he wants it (just needs to sell his Volvo first), if he comes through with the money I may be in the market for a solid 3-door (Qman?), an EJ swap doner and a sedan for parts.:brow: