Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel smell in cockpit

My wagon has a horrible fuel smell in the cockpit (when it is running, which it isn't right now) and it's worse when the fan is blowing. No leaks in the lines on visual inspection. Carb is damp all around it and has always been a problem. Had one mechnic tell me it was cracked. But the carb has been like this for years but the fuel smell is recent, like just this winter. Is the carb the problem or could it be something else?

One last thing to check would be the hoses associated with the charcoal canister. (I forgot about them!)

I skipped the Weber and went for SPFI. It has much more potential to boost power than a Weber, and it is a comporable price for parts. It is just a lot more work and requires some skill. Snowman wrote a manual about how to do the conversion, and it is posted somewhere in the repair manual section.

If you cannot convert to SPFI, then the Weber is still a MUCH better option than the Hitachi, only concern being if it would pass emissions.