Ultimate Subaru Message Board

first time i did brakes i thought "oh my nuts i can't believe i've paid people exhorbitant amount of money to do this". suffer the learning curve now and thank yourself for the rest of your life. this board will be a great resource. i second the haynes manual or a factory service manual if you're looking to learn more and do other maintenance yourself.

My mechanic told me that it would cost $175.00 labor to replace the front rotors because they need pulled ( not sure what that means ) vs. the rear ( cost $60 ) because they don't need pulled.

Sorry I'm such a novice regarding these things, but is the process the same to remove the front and back rotors? Should it cost that much more to pull the front vs. the rear?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

Kevin

My mechanic told me that it would cost $175.00 labor to replace the front rotors because they need pulled ( not sure what that means ) vs. the rear ( cost $60 ) because they don't need pulled.

Sorry I'm such a novice regarding these things, but is the process the same to remove the front and back rotors? Should it cost that much more to pull the front vs. the rear?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

Kevin

I'd be a little concerned about that mechanic.....the front rotors do not need to be "pulled" (or un-bolted). If you simply remove the lower of the two caliper slider/retainer bolts, the caliper (with brake pads still inside it) will tilt upward away from the rotor, then the rotor simply slides off of the lug nut studs.

The REAR brake rotors, on the other hand, are a different story. They DO require unbolting from the hub to remove them. This is a more complicated job. The rear rotors are actually a "rotor and hat" assembly (for lack of a better term); they are a brake rotor with a brake "drum" made into the inside of them. The brake drum is for the parking brake.

in general no, i don't see a reason for such a large gap in price for front/rear. but i don't know the OBS very well. just got one, but haven't looked at the brakes yet.

do you really NEED 4 disk rotors brand new? if taken care of properly i've had rotors last a REALLY long time. i don't even have them turned, i just make sure to replace the pads early. at 200,000 miles i decided to replace my rotors for good measure, though there was nothing wrong with them. one of the news ones was warped!! had to return it.

• 2 months later...

the lug stud holes will be identical, not sure about fitment though (width, size, etc). seems the wrx rotors would be larger in some way. check some online part stores like thepartsbin.com or others and see if they post sizes with the part numbers and pictures.

Some cars need to have the hub pulled to remove "captive" rotors. Sure ain't that way on a '91. Doubt if it's like that on yours. A nice setup Subaru has.

Find a better mechanic (more honest). Just have to remove the caliper. About 10 mins. work max.

As far as rotors, I never had a problem with Autozone/ Advance Chinese rotors, but they do seem to wear fast. All the better for rustbelt conditions to prevent pitting.

Rotors on the '99 OB aren't captive. Just get the caliper out of the way, and they come right off.

I used the cheap rotors and pads from Advance Auto (Wear Ever Silver), because they were in stock and I needed them right away. They work just as well as anything else I've used (Brembo, PBR) for my style of driving. Cost was less than $180 for pads and rotors for all four wheels.

Just for others info. I had a heck of a time getting the correct rotors for both my 1996 Legacy LS Wagon and my 2001 Outback. I got them from Advanced Auto and AutoZone and no one seems to have the correct size, even though their system says they fit. Just a word to the wise to measure the diameter of your old rotors and compare them to the replacements before you take everything apart.

I ended up going to the dealer for the parts.

Noel

I need to replace my front rotors (warped apparently?!). Canadian Tire quoted me $93 each!!! Someone I know who works for a Saturn dealership may be able to find me cheaper ones (wholesale price).

Just for others info. I had a heck of a time getting the correct rotors for both my 1996 Legacy LS Wagon and my 2001 Outback. I got them from Advanced Auto and AutoZone and no one seems to have the correct size, even though their system says they fit. Just a word to the wise to measure the diameter of your old rotors and compare them to the replacements before you take everything apart.

I ended up going to the dealer for the parts.

Noel