Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new member--timing belt question

Hi everyone, new member to this forum, though I am a 2nd time Subaru owner. First was a 1991 Loyale that lasted 200K+ miles when we finally sold her for a 1995 Legacy wagon. Got the wagon with 40K, now has 90K (just a baby) and it runs great.

Main question I have is how imperative is it to change the timming belts. If a belt breaks does it destroy the engine or just leave you stranded? We never did on the Loyal and always figured I was lucky, but have been thinking my luck may be running thin. I have developed a small oil leak (real slight, 1 drip per day) and it seems like it may be comming from the timing cover gasket, but it is hard to be sure.

Anyway, just thought I would ask. also, what would someone expect to pay for belt replacement?

Thanks fopr the input

Tom & Shannen

1995 Legacy AWD Wagon

1998 Mercury Villager MiniVan

1997 Dodge 1500 Pickup

Change the timing belt every 60K miles weither it needs it or not. Seeing as how yours probably wasn't changed...Get it done ASAP! While they are in there have them change the waterpump and oil pump gaskets (three in all) and tighten the screws on the back of the pump. $300-400....unless you want to do it yourself....

Drive on!

Change your oil every 3K miles. Do not use Synthetic oils. Do use thin oil. If you ever for any reason have to drain the coolant system.....burp it well after filling it. Your AWD on the legacy requires special care. All tires the same size and within a 1/4 of an inch as to not scew it up.

Welcome......to the other side.:grin:

I'm pretty sure that your car has the 2.2 (EJ22) motor. That motor is a Non Interference Motor. That means if your timing belt should break, yes, it will leave you stranded, but will not do damage to the motor. I beleive that in 97 they started making the 2.2 an Interference motor.

Regular maintenance is key, oil & filter changes, coolant flushes, etc... If you can do the work yourself, all the better. It's not that hard to do, as long as you do it right... As far a burping out the coolant system, that's how I was taught how to do it for ANY car. If not, select a reputable service station that doesn't have any reservations working on a Subaru...

I see that you are from Rochester... I live in Spencerport... I would, for our climate, recommend using 5w30 oil. It is a thin oil, it covers the spectrum of our weather really well. I haven't had any issues yet...

What kind of experience have you had with service for your Subaru ?? I've had ok luck with Van Bortel's... until recently... Avoid the other's... Piehler's told me last week (when I complained about something) that my concern was silly and a waste of their time... So they are NOT getting my business again...

Keep in touch and good luck with your Sube...

Hey--fellow 95 Sube owner. Got my LSi wagon in 2004. Great car. It was a one-owner before coming to me. I have MUCH higher miles than you, though, at 160,000. The man who had it before me took really good care of it in regards to having it serviced at the dealership where he bought it new. That Subaru dealership replaced its timing belt a few thousand miles before the 100K point--I think that's what the manual says is the schedule to replace it the first time.

The 2.2 is a great engine. You're about 70,000 miles behind me, and my engine is going strong and smooth, so you should plan on a long, happy life with yours. Here's what I would do if I were you: plan ahead to have the timing belt replaced (by a shop that has Subaru experience) before you hit that 100K mark. That way, if it's a cost you need save for, you still got plenty of time to set aside some cash little by little for the job. If you don't have to plan ahead for expenses like this, then go ahead and get it done now. If you can't afford to cough up repair bills like this on-demand, then there's no way you want to get stuck on the side of the road with a) the same repair bill for a replaced timing belt plus the possibility of paying extra for I-need-it-now service and B) the extra cost of having the car flat towed to the shop.