Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'91 Loyale turbo?

You would have to swap your engine with a turbo one for a turbo to work properly and reliably. The 9.5:1 compression ratio in a Loyale would be far too much for the engine to be turboed - you would break a piston ring or a piston (maybe even throw a rod). Plus you would have to change the FI system to MPFI (what you have now is SPFI) so while possible, it would be difficult.

A Loyale Turbo was available in 1990. If you can find one it would save you a lot of work.

A complete swap would be best.

However...

I did do the 9.5:1 turbo engine. It lasted 24k miles under HARD HARD driving and autocrossing. What broke on it was...NOTHING! I burned a valve due to running lean (that was easily fixed once I found the problem...injector cloged), and the rings gave out. Otherwise the bearings and pistons were in fine shape.

I ran my setup with out an intercooler and a catless but otherwise stock exhaust.

WIth a proper exh setup, intercooler and the 87+ turbo engine management, it should be rather reliable for 50k miles under 'normal' use and ocasional hard driving. I also experienced a rather large increase in MPGs and a hell-load of low end (1600-2600) power.

Why not go earlier (85/86 model year) to avoid the fuel - cut problem?

because I had a REALLY hard time tuning the fuel in correctly AND the timing with that system.

High boost? ok...tweak timing, adjust the spring tesnsion on AFM....repeat process about 10 times to get it right.

Ok, i want to cruse around town on stock boost. Adjsut adjust adjust....and adjust again.....and some more.

WAIT! MUST outrun ricer! HIGH BOOST!!! Oh ****, detonation...not enough/too much fuel....oh crap.

With 87+....high boost/low boost/med boost....no have to get out and adjust things. Set it and go. Push button for different boost...and just GO GO GO. :headbang:

The pre 87+ does have the merrit of no built in fuel cut tho, I will give it that.

Your problem with detonation was probably a gummed-up disty. As the 85/86 turbos had a vacuum/centrifugal advance, they were prone to gumming up. I had similar probs. pre-SPFI, and my car wasn't turboed!! A distribuitor rebuild helped a lot.

jefvos - if you are not married to the car, find a 1990 Loyale Turbo, it has the 87+ system on it, and it requires no time on your part (it would also be cheaper)

I see ...

Honestly, my dream Soob would be a late RX sedan (I like 4 doors) with an EJ22 engine in it - better than stock and no turbo to wrestle with. Plus D/R FT4WD traction. I would have to get used to not having the wagon back end to put stuff in though.

It would also have flair, yet still be sort of a sleeper.

(I could leave the Hondas, Toyotas, and Nissans in my dust!!)