Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi fellow subaru owners -

I'm currently on my second, a 97 outback with about 150k miles. it recently started to, very intermittently mind you, shake and vibrate as if the wheels were about to fall off. As I said, this is intermittent AND sometimes vibrates violently, sometimes not so much. When it's happening, the car will still drive straight and true, so I don't think it's an alignment problem. Also, when it's happening, if I take my foot off the gas, it stops, when I put my foot back on the accelerator, it resumes.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

DRIVESHAFT UJOINT.

it will fail and it won't last many miles. the ujoint will completely blow out and the shaft will be free to swing around and hit anything it wants to - brake line, fuel line, suspension, floor board of the car most likely and the exhaust. if it's vibrating that badly, check it immediately. before it fails completely the car will shake like nothing you can imagine, to the point you can't see out your rear view mirror.

it could be other things, but you need to check the driveshaft first. for instance there's a very slim chance it could be a bad cv joint, but unlikely.

pull the driveshaft off and it will be very obvious which ujoint is bad. it will be either seized, stiff or feel VERY lumpy as you move it.

i have older subarus and a 97 outback as well, but i just got the OBS and have only changed the oil in it and adjusted the drive belts. on older subarus they will tell you the ujoints are not replaceable and you have a buy a new driveshaft for alot of money or a used unit that might not last long. but they can be replaced with regreasable and replaceable rockford ujoints. unfortunately i don't see a listing for a 97 outback. latest subaru listing i found was 1996 subaru SVX, maybe they don't supply them for newer subaru's or maybe the newer ones have replaceable units. someone on here probably knows.

forgot to mention - you should be able to pick up a used unit for under 100 dollars and they are super duper easy to install on the older subaru's, i can't imagine the new ones being any different. couple bolts and that's it. my fiance is driving my OBS in another state so i don't have it to look at.