Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Change your oil every 5000 miles and you can--

also have 438367.5 miles on your Forester, bought here in Tampa in 11/99.

Thats 87 oil filters/ 91.35+ Gals of oil (Whats on sale?) and same oil plug ring. Does not burn oil but since 400K have added half qt. before changes do to seal leaks. Do all my own maintenance and use a independent Mech. for those jobs beyond me. Were does all the milage come from, I deliver Medicine around the State and when not working you'll see me with a Kayak strapped to the Top of my Red Forester headed for Tampa Bay. There after how many years and I finally posted a msg. (I've been driving).

Oh Yea I love those B-stone Dueller H/L Tires if I don"t get 100K out of them I feel cheated (do you own a tire gage?). I don't yak like this much you caught me at a weak moment. I'll up date you at 500K.

also have 438367.5 miles on your Forester, bought here in Tampa in 11/99.

Thats 87 oil filters/ 91.35+ Gals of oil (Whats on sale?) and same oil plug ring. Does not burn oil but since 400K have added half qt. before changes do to seal leaks. Do all my own maintenance and use a independent Mech. for those jobs beyond me. Were does all the milage come from, I deliver Medicine around the State and when not working you'll see me with a Kayak strapped to the Top of my Red Forester headed for Tampa Bay. There after how many years and I finally posted a msg. (I've been driving).

Oh Yea I love those B-stone Dueller H/L Tires if I don"t get 100K out of them I feel cheated (do you own a tire gage?). I don't yak like this much you caught me at a weak moment. I'll up date you at 500K.

That is a lot of miles for that vintage! IIRC, that came with a Pnase II EJ25. Have you ever had the head gasket problem (on yours I believe it is an external leak)? Any other major work needed during this time?

Please forgive my skepticism, but doing some calculations, if he bought the car on November 1st, 1999, 1553 days will have passed up to this very moment.

438,367.5 miles, divided by 1553 is roughly 282 miles a day.

If it's all highway mileage, that's driving 4.7 hours a day at an average speed of 60 mph.

That's by no means impossible, but this would have to be done EVERY SINGLE DAY in that time period, weekends and holidays included...

Sounds easy to me honestly... I deliver pizza and can rack up over 100 miles a day easy. And thats between 20 and 35 miles per hour... put me on a highway and over a longer distance... I could rack that up easy!

Going from town to town can really build up miles.

But man... a tank of gas a day! And I thought it was bad filling the car every other day.

438,367.5 miles, divided by 1553 is roughly 282 miles a day.

If it's all highway mileage, that's driving 4.7 hours a day at an average speed of 60 mph.

Well he said that thats his job, so we can assume he probably works more then 4.7 hours on an avrage day, if he works 8-9 hours most days there would be pleanty of time for days off.

If you figure that there have been, basically, 5 years and 2 months since Nov. 1, 1999, and that would be about 262 weeks, working 8 days a week, we've got 1310 days to account for. That would be 335 miles a day, give or take, which, given an eight hour day would only be an average speed of 41 mph. That's not unreasonable at all if you're buzzing "all over the state" on a daily basis. Granted, you have to take holidays out of that equation, but when you consider that weekends are completely unaccounted for, I think it becomes quite reasonable!

My wife's stepdad is a truck driver, and it never ceases to amaze me how anyone who drives as a profession can rack up an unbeleivable amount of miles. What would be really nice, though, would be to get his miliage checks! Figure the IRS has said about 32.5 cents per mile for the last few years, so if he ran every single mile for work, we're talking about $142k in tax-free reimbursement!

This kind of longevity in an engine driven under these conditions isn't remarkable at all. Ford taxis regularly go 500k miles, and Fords aren't widely known for their longevity. This engine doesn't ever see a true cold-start being in Florida. I am convinced at this point that average oil temperature (when running) is one of the biggest contributors to engine longevity. This engine sees a very high percentage of ideal oil temperature (~100°C).

Changing even cheap dino every 5k under these conditions is very conservative.

Ford taxis regularly go 500k miles, This engine doesn't ever see a true cold-start being in Florida. I am convinced at this point that average oil temperature (when running) is one of the biggest contributors to engine longevity. This engine sees a very high percentage of ideal oil temperature (~100°C).

Changing even cheap dino every 5k under these conditions is very conservative.

True. When engines run almost continuously (taxi cab / police car duty) the engine internals develop a sort of "case hardening" from the constant, even heat. The engines' rate of wear slows to almost zero. And remember, even the cheapest dino oil sold today is better than any premium oil sold 5 or 10 years ago.

That .88 cent per quart "Super Tech" stuff sold at Walmart is all you need in an engine that's run continuously. I wouldn't be surprised if this Forester sees at least 600k.

Subie engines have a very short stroke which equals a relatively slow piston-to-cylinder-wall speed compared to other longer stroke engines. This explains why the Forester has little or no cylinder or piston ring wear and thus little to no oil consumption.

Go Subaru!!