Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what is is about soobs

I can't figure out what it is. I mean, before this car, I had a BMW325i, before that, a heavily modified RX7, before that, a mildly modified toyota supra. One might think I took a MAJOR step down by switching to an 85 subaru hatchback, but the truth is I absolutely LOVE this car, but can't for the life of me explain why

I think that subarus are the best because they handle really well for an old 4WD wagons, hatches, and sedans. They are easy to find and cheap. They last forever. To top it all off they are good in any weather. Plus they off road better than any 4WD old school wagon. If you compared a 4WD tercel to a subaru I think they suby would kill it in every test.

I think that subarus are the best because they handle really well for an old 4WD wagons, hatches, and sedans. They are easy to find and cheap. They last forever. To top it all off they are good in any weather. Plus they off road better than any 4WD old school wagon. If you compared a 4WD tercel to a subaru I think they suby would kill it in every test.
That right there folks, is a winner

1 cheap

2 easy to find

3 long lived

4 beats the crap out of the competition of the time.

They aren't pretty, they aren't fast, they don't handle exceptionally well..

But they get the job done.

I can't figure out what it is. I mean, before this car, I had a BMW325i, before that, a heavily modified RX7, before that, a mildly modified toyota supra. One might think I took a MAJOR step down by switching to an 85 subaru hatchback, but the truth is I absolutely LOVE this car, but can't for the life of me explain why

Please see this thread, as you will inevitably need it :)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12938

you are on your way :)

I've got a (mostly) stock 2nd gen RX-7, and I really enjoy my Subaru (88 DL Wagon) as well. It's roomier, and... I just enjoy driving it. I can't explain why either, because it's a LOT less powerful, the shifter is absurdly sloppy as compared to the '7, the brakes need work, and it has pieces falling off.

-=Russ=-

I love the EA82 Leone since 1988. They are a little piece of my childhood.

I remember lots of holiday journeys with our Leone when I was a little child.

So I drive a Leone because I can keep a little bit of my childhood in that way.

L

I fell in love with Subarus awhile back with my 88 GL wagon..needed a delivery car and dog hauler and there it was cheap...I love everything about them...they handle well..great in bad weather (even my FWD ones ..which was all of them) easy to work on...specially since you dont have to often. Gas mileage is terrific and they will go when they need to...before Subarus I had stuff like my 71 Mach 1 Mustang 428 CJ,70 Mustang Coupe 289,86 Daytona Turbo Z, and a bunch of VWs for beaters...and my Subaru have always been the best....now I can't see myself driving anything but a Soob.

I think it is cause they love you back....they first win you over and then absolutly love you back...I have seen Soobs take care of ppl when they really shouldnt have..me included. Out of my 3 that I have had my current Loyale is the most special...dont know why but he is. Yes I want another one either newer or older but I want to keep my Bucky around till there is nothing left of him but some parts to become doners to another deserving Soob..that way he will live on.

Thats what it is about Soobs...they are just special!

I fell in love with my Hatch back in 1983 when I found it six months old. I have driven the car ever since. I've never had any real problems and it just keeps on going....

A buddy of mine is a car dealer, always pressuring me to get a new car. My answer was always the same...."This is the car I want to drive"....

Why? It does everything I need a car to do. What more can you ask for?

Now it's body has changed but it's still the car I love to drive...

My .02

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one :] Some of my friends think I'm nuts. I loved my car when I was bringing it home, no exhaust except a really rusted out Y-pipe, really bad brakes, surface rust everywhere, no rockers or quarters, totally ragged out interior, but somehow I was and still am SO excited :] I havent noticed the handling to me anything impressive, but like i said I just got rid of the beemer, and before that was the heavily modified 1st generation rx7 that cornered like a go-cart, hehe, so at this point its hard to impress me with handling. And as far as bad weather, I got the car stuck in my driveway as soon as I got it home, LOL

But like I said, i still absolutely love it :]

Given your description of the car, it is safe to assume that your shocks are probably not in too good a shape either. Besides EA82 cars *supposedly* (hatch patrol don't kill me) handle better than EA81 cars (a hatch is an EA81). However, I lack enough expierence to compare the two. I would start fixing the rust and the exhaust b/c you need both to be safe on the road.

Get some good tires too, so you don't get stuck in the driveway ;)

I had an 86 Brat that I beat the crap out of. I even got rear ended by some idiot driving 40 mph(i was sitting still) tialgate wouldnt open any more but the guy i sold it to still has it. saw it on the road last summer. wish i could have afforded to keep it and do some work to it.

I love how my loyale handles. when i was in co. i would drive the sube when the snow was real bad because it did so much better than my 88 toyota 4x4. Its not the prettiest thing on the road, the front fenders are rusting away and its got a little bit of "custom" body work but gets great milage, 4wd and hasn't ever realy let me down.

Get some good tires too, so you don't get stuck in the driveway ;)

its got good tires, but we got 6-7 inches of snow last weekend and I never shoveled :P I didnt get stuck bad enough that I needed help getting out, but it took a lot of rocking and coaxing. In the subarus defense, the snow was deep enough that I wasnt just leaving tire tracks in the snow, I was leaving crossmember tracks in the snow, LOL