Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

87 gl10 wagon auto tranny question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 danley

danley

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • arrowhead villa in mtns

Posted 24 August 2003 - 02:14 PM

my 87 gl 10 wagon has 3 spd at.....doesnt slip....is slow 2nd-3rd shift in morning.....sometimes itll go into reverse but i may have to wait 5 min or so when warm.....will downshift 3rd to 2nd in passing gear....but have to manually downshift into 2nd at stop.....in order to downshift into 1st have to move selector to neutral then into 1st.....have changed fluid.....filter...solenoid.....vacuum modulator.....added lucas oil.....inspected & cleaned govorner.....got any ideas? help please

#2 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 24 August 2003 - 02:56 PM

Dan this is classic govenor problem
Did you debur the shuttle following my instruction in the repair manual or did you just clean it off?
you may want to get a boneyard unit and try it

BTW you have a steel worm drive gear so very doubtful you have it apple cored.
This happened to the nylon worm gears.

#3 danley

danley

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 07:58 PM

thanks skip....went back & re did gov per instr.....put springs back where they belong (swapped.....ooops.....owner before me) works beautifully!!!!! your a lifesaver & saved a great car from the junkyard.......thanks again........

#4 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 25 August 2003 - 08:22 PM

you're very welcome, glad to hear it's fixed

#5 danley

danley

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 10:22 AM

tranny shifts fine forward gears..........went into reverse fine for awhile........couple days after doing clean & deburr on gov......yes it has steel gear no apple core.....intermittently started taking about 5 min to go into reverse after warm up......goes right in when cold......otherwise shifts great......got any ideas?......valve body hanging up??....or......thanks for any assistance you can offer.........:banghead:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users