Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 gl10 wagon auto tranny question

my 87 gl 10 wagon has 3 spd at.....doesnt slip....is slow 2nd-3rd shift in morning.....sometimes itll go into reverse but i may have to wait 5 min or so when warm.....will downshift 3rd to 2nd in passing gear....but have to manually downshift into 2nd at stop.....in order to downshift into 1st have to move selector to neutral then into 1st.....have changed fluid.....filter...solenoid.....vacuum modulator.....added lucas oil.....inspected & cleaned govorner.....got any ideas? help please

Dan this is classic govenor problem

Did you debur the shuttle following my instruction in the repair manual or did you just clean it off?

you may want to get a boneyard unit and try it

BTW you have a steel worm drive gear so very doubtful you have it apple cored.

This happened to the nylon worm gears.

thanks skip....went back & re did gov per instr.....put springs back where they belong (swapped.....ooops.....owner before me) works beautifully!!!!! your a lifesaver & saved a great car from the junkyard.......thanks again........

tranny shifts fine forward gears..........went into reverse fine for awhile........couple days after doing clean & deburr on gov......yes it has steel gear no apple core.....intermittently started taking about 5 min to go into reverse after warm up......goes right in when cold......otherwise shifts great......got any ideas?......valve body hanging up??....or......thanks for any assistance you can offer.........:banghead: