Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'97 outback failed emmissions?

Fellers,

Took my '97 OBW (239k miles) with 5 MT in this morning for an E-test and I failed! The computer came back with an EGR valve, all 4 cylinders misfire and a knock sensor. I assume i can easily replace the EGR and knock sensor, but what about the misfire? The car runs good although my mileage lately seems somewhat low but I figured that was a tire that has a slow air leak. I replaced the plugs when the dealer did the headgaskets at 192k miles so i may need to put some new ones in. Anybody got any good suggestions?

thanks

Tdog

Cincy

Fellers,

Took my '97 OBW (239k miles) with 5 MT in this morning for an E-test and I failed! The computer came back with an EGR valve, all 4 cylinders misfire and a knock sensor. I assume i can easily replace the EGR and knock sensor, but what about the misfire? The car runs good although my mileage lately seems somewhat low but I figured that was a tire that has a slow air leak. I replaced the plugs when the dealer did the headgaskets at 192k miles so i may need to put some new ones in. Anybody got any good suggestions?

thanks

Tdog

Cincy

For the misfire condition---tell me you don't have the original spark plug wires on that engine at that milage........(or do you?).

For the misfire condition---tell me you don't have the original spark plug wires on that engine at that milage........(or do you?).

I replaced the wires about a year ago with aftermarket ones. When i had an emission test with the original wires everything passed perfect. Could cheap wires cause a misfire? they ran the e test using the onboard computer not with the exhaust.

Tdog

Is the check engine light on? If not then some of these codes are stored in the computer system. They can be really old. You need to have the computer codes taken out and then drive it for a day, and then take it back in. If then you have codes then go and replace those items.

Is the check engine light on? If not then some of these codes are stored in the computer system. They can be really old. You need to have the computer codes taken out and then drive it for a day, and then take it back in. If then you have codes then go and replace those items.

How do I have the codes taken out? Can i do this my self?

thanks

Tdog

You can go buy an OBDII code reader... but if you hit up an Autozone, they'll read them for you, gratis. Advance Auto Parts used to do that, but the last couple times I went to the one in Covington, they grudgingly pulled their reader from behind the counter and did it, while telling me that they didn't really do that anymore, since someone walked off with their code reader a while back.