Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subarubicon photos and tidbits (***8/31 additons***)

ezapar

I can't post stuff from my video right away, my pc is too old to process the digital video. SO, for now, I can play it back on my vcr and take phtos of the tv screen with my other more simple computer ready digicam. Will post a bunch of them for previews, will add caption and a brief story behind each.

brokeonstep2.jpg

Here's Peppy the Little Brown Mule, Formerly known as the Unhatched, (story in its self) broken attempting the second of 4 gnarly steps. He simultainiously broke a front strut, (at the still stock part of what he'd modified) a front axle, and a rear stub axle internally in the diff. The first two were easy fixes, (involving welding 6 inches of the highlift jack's handle to the strut as a sleave) but the stub had twisted as it broke iside the rear diff. It involved completely disassebliing the rear diff and welding a spare bolt to the stub to get a grip to pull it out. This accomplished after 2 hours or so of a million on the spot revelations as to how to get it out without disassembly, which were all to no avail. (btw, Robert had tightened his 4.44 lsd rear diff with air tools when he built it to assure it not coming apart during his 1000+ mile trip driving to the Rubicon and subsequently using it to 4X one of the gnarliest trails known to man. Didn't come apart without a good fight.) 10 hour job all said and done, our first day mostly waisted. We'd made it a half a mile up this rock pile, we knew now what we were up against.

Drove away after breakfast the following morning. We'd winched it up to a clearing off the side of the road that would allow us to pitch tents. Had a bit of a slope, we've all got funny stories of constanly sliding during our sleep as we stirred. lol Ken had to take the bipass to get around him to get a position to be able to winch him. Bypass involved Ken needing his winch to free him of a big rock.

PS Robert's shot at it is all on video, shot from behind as he manhandles the trail before the non-modified in his ride gave out.

EZ

That is too awesome, and my new wall paper, i am so impressed with you guys who went, it is sure proof of the rig's quality in modifications and expert driving, and of course guiding the driver along the rocks. there's a reason why you guys are the god fathers of the board, much respect and admiration heading your way. that picture just blows me away, Congratulations, and i guess the only reason its never been done in a subaru before is because you guys hadn't done it yet. dang i'm jealous. my rig pales by comparison.

Well it seems pretty obvious that axle durability was the problem on the con, I've been hanging around the pirate board :eek: And I got wind of something called cryo-treating or something, that people were doing to their axles to get a lot more strength out of them, perhaps we should look into this? Also shot peening I hear can raise the fatigue limit by 22%!

Nobody stepped forward before we went and offered to give us new axles. Do you have any idea what a trip like this cost?

We had a total of 6 rears, and 5 or so fronts, as well as an extra diff and 6 extra stub axles.

The fix has already been worked out, you'll just have to wait till it's done to see what we/Robert figured out.

**Curious, where would I go about buying a new axle anyways. The only "new" ones I know of are re-mans, or in other words garbage.**

Could you please refrain from posting and reposting about stuff like that?

Appreciated.

EZ

The Cryo treatment Is what is being used by Bobby Long on the Birfield joint which is very similiar to your stub axle joint. (basicaly a CV). They call 'em Longfields. You may want to contact him, he might be able to come up with something that would work for you, and it's way, way better than going new.

Here's his contact info

Long's Enterprises

Phone: (253) 847-8254

Fax: (253) 875-1588

Address:

Long's Enterprises

20719 111th Ave East.

Graham Wa, 98338

Try the 930 CV joints it's been applied to a lot of diifferent rigs with good results.

Applying it to Subaru takes some time (machining maybe) and a good modification knowledge but it can be done.

Last but not least, to the guys who went to Rubicon, RIGHT ON!

Del

Here's an idea of what the terrain tended to be like. Moonscape or something.

John spotting the line for Robert.

johnspot.jpg

One of John making a 1 point turn around a sharp corner. Just after, it tilted and looked like it would go over. Little pucker factor for John.

johncorner.jpg

I didn't mean for that to be a criticism, I was just curious if you think having new axles would have helped. Didn't know that you can't get new axles. You also didn't mention anything about Robert having a solution. And I didn't mean to double post, my screwups managed to compound.

I actually bought NEW axles from Subaru a few years back. Still going strong and I haven't had to replace them or listen to clicking yet.

But they weren't cheap! 175 each with the technician discount the parts counter guy gave me if I am not mistaken. I wouldn't do it again but then again I still own the axles. If you are going to be owning a specific Subaru for a LONG time and not 4x4ing it around its probably worth it.

Rebuilt ones for 60 are a much easier deal. The day I ordered them I had absolutely had it with Autozone and Napa axles and I didnt own a work area so I was paying a mechanic to do them. He was being nice and pulling them back out when they clicked but we both agreed this crap ain't worth it and gave up on set 3 of bad ones, the new ones didnt click at all. Since then I have had much better luck with Reman axles especially since I quit buying them at Autozone.

Hurry Robert I wanna see what you two have cookin for axles.. I haven't even gotten muddy in a while simply because I ruin at least one every time I go out. Not to mention I ruined my one set of tires with any kind of non paved traction capabilities. :banghead:

Mike

ZapDogg...When there's a will, there's a way, and you definitely got the will thing down!! I congratulate all of you on your venture, and look foward to hopefully joining you guys next year, if the EA71 gets its transplant and steroids by then...

I'd appreciate a video of this if you're willing to make copies. (I'll send $$ first since I still owe ya $10 :-\ )

Hey I got to watch Eric's Rubicon Trail video today(the raw, un-edited version that is) and OH MAN! OMG! AND HOLY JIMMINY CHRISTMAS!!! That is indeed some heavy-duty gnarly Subaru crawling action!!! I won't go into sickening details here but I just gotta say, the rest of you guys will be in for a treat when you see this stuff!

I'm actually impressed that those little OEM axles and stubs (and everything else for that matter) held up as well as they did. I mean that is some gnarly terrain that they subjected the stuff to. Most of it was basically steep stream beds. I mean like in the springtime when the snow is melting, I'm sure parts of the trail look more like waterfalls than "trail" or old road. I gotta think that the original creators of these little Japanese econobox cars would be very proud of how well they held up under such extreme abuse and hauling tons of gear. Also wonder what they'd think of the modifications these guys have done to them? Sure would be fun to see their reaction to watching the video!

Robert, the amazing Unhatched (or Pepe') looks and performs awesome! Now that's crawling! The spare tire rack looks brilliant and suspension seemed to ride smooth like butter. That's one proper trail cruizer!

John, How's the air up there man? Jeez, never mind the "on board air", if that rig was much taller you'd need on-board OXYGEN and you could bungee jump from it! The Beast-a-Con is nothing short of amazing (there ain't nuthin short about it!) The 2.2, AT, and T/C looked like they worked sweeet, especially considering how freshly installed everything was. That's real confidence, testing major, major, freekin' huge mods on the Rubicon trail with the whole offroad world as an audience! Well executed dude! You rock!

Ken, the Brat looks freekin' sweet! Everybody will be lusting for that choice machine! That torque monster EA81 performed excellent! I could really tell watching the video how much of a difference that engine makes! You could crawl the boulders just blipping the gas at low rpms...very cool! The new hood mods look good. Nice looking way to keep her cool. Lawn chairs, camping gear, tools, tools, and more tools...that Brat hauls more than rump roast and climbs like a goat!

My conclusions after watching this (besides wishing I was there?) Well uh my first is that the divorced transfer case I have in storage needs to be installed in my Hatch. Slow and easy crawling looks much easier on the equipment. But then Ken's Brat with stock gears did pretty dang well too so I maybe the divorced transfer case is overkill and extra weight? Second conclusion is that a EJ22 just makes sense and there's lots of Legacys out there for cheap. Automatic or dual range? Hmmm, now that's an interesting question. We'll have to see how John's AT works after he gets it fine tuned. It did seem to be user friendly and held up fine from what I could see. Wonder what John thinks? Last conclusion is that these guys (and gal) all rock and are true pioneers and re-engineers! Awesome work on all the machines guys, and of course great driving and spotting! It goes without saying that Eric's video kicks rump roast and you need to see it to believe it! Thanks for the preview man!

I'm so happy you guys were able to pull this off! Whoo hoo, Way to go!!!