Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Legacy starting problems....UUGH!

My 96' Legacy station wagon with a 182,000 miles is having starting problems.

In the begining it would intermittently not start after driving for 30 miles or so.

After being hauled home it would start ok. Then it might work good for two to three week's. The engine code (as diagnosed by Schuck's) indicated the Crankshaft positioning sensor problem. Now it will stall at stop lights (again intermittently) and is difficult to restart: Is the crankshaft positioning sensor prone to failure? Exactly, where is it located? My Chilton Manual states the timing belt need's to be removed, but the Schuck's expert said that no it didn' t need to be. What exactly is the procedure for removel?

Should I replace anything else while I am in there? Working on Subaru's is new to me, I was raised working on Chevy's of the 40's and 50's but I never found a crankshaft sensor on the old Chevy's. Thank's for any information on this matter.

Does anyone happen to know a similar web site for Toyota Tercels?

The sensor is right above the crank pulley, mounted on the front of the block. One 10mm bolt and the electrical connector is all that needs to come off. You may want to pull the alternator to give you better access.

Easy swap. Check 1stsubaruparts.com for good service and price.

If you have a good self service yard, you may just pull one.