Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I noticed something weird about my Car's Idling..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alexx

Alexx

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • California

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:24 PM

My Subaru seemed to be running rougher lately (81DL wagon) so I opened the hood and noticed that if I put downward pressure on the air filter housing the car suddenly seemed to run better.

I also discovered there was a minor amount of side to side play with the air filter housing (because I am missing a sidemount bolt) and I was able to find a sweet spot.

Anyone have an idea what is going on? I'm pretty certain the rebuilt carburetor is securely bolted down.

#2 hooziewhatsit

hooziewhatsit

I fix old cars

• Members
  • 1,333 posts
  • Klamath Falls

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:35 PM

sounds like a vacuum of some sort somewhere.

I think I'd try to get that sidemount bolt and see if it helps.

you can also spray carb cleaner or similar sparingly in places. If the idle changes, there's a leak there and needs to be fixed.

good luck

#3 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:37 PM

Possibly a leaky carb gasket.

The 'spray it down with carb cleaner until you find the leak' is a good one. Do that and report back.

#4 dragonwingsubaru

dragonwingsubaru

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • englewood

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:35 PM

almost sounds like the 82 i used to have on mine it was the carb bolts had worked loose. try tightening them up and see if it helps

#5 snowstormer

snowstormer

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • northwest wisconsin

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:05 PM

i would check all the phillips screws that hold the top of the carb onto the main body of the carb also. i had these work loose on a car i had once. turned out the whole carb was kinda falling apart right on top of the motor. tightened them all up and was as good as new...

#6 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:24 PM

My guess is that it is a Carter/Weber and the base bolts are/have loosened up. If this is true, you have to remove it and tighten them from the bottom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users