Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everyone a little advice would be helpful. I have a 95 subaru lagacy wagon awd, 2.2l, 5spd. I am in the process of trying to put a new clutch in. I read both my chiltons and haynes manuals before starting, took my time, my cables, starter, pitching bar, axles, exhaust, , wires, driveshafts,top and bottom trans nuts and bolts, crossmembers ( I might of left a few things out im a little tired) then I started to lower the jack just a little ( I do not have a transmission jack but I use a 2x4 and strapped it to the jack) I dont have the special tool subaru reccomends for the top of the engine so I used my bottle jack and a 4x4 to raise the front of the engine a little. So now the transmission should slide rearward on the jack, so i think. Nothing, okay maybe a little more angle on the engine, nothing,okay, so I get uder the car and try to pull it back off of the engine. Huh, still nothing. Patience is a virtue, maybe too much pressure on the floor jack. Try too pull of again. nothing. So after double checking everthing is dissconnected and trying every variation to the n'th degree of raising and lowering and pulling I cant get it to budge, there is just half of a hairs with of a separation between them on one side. So now Im thinking maybe heat weld,I dont know it was slipping but it still moved I mean I didnt drive it till there was smoke and the smell of burnt brakes. But maybe the mrs did ahh the joys of sharing. Ther was a black powder on the starter I dont know if this is normal. I love this car but now shes starting to a:banghead: ct up and any reccomendations on how to calm her would be helpful. well, happy hunting everyone

Well, i dont think his mode of attack is going to change at this point in the project!

I did my 91 Legacy FWD a few months back, it was hard to get seperated but I jacked and pulled and eventually got about a 1/4 in crack in there. And carefully pried the trans loose, seemed to hang out the lower stud threads. Hate to sound too obvious, you did disconnect the shift linkage?

Good luck and let us know

Sometimes a lot of rust will build up around the dowel pins that align the engine and transmission. Hit them with some penetrating oil then tap them with a hammer and punch. This should help free things up.

Well after this mornings courting with her I came back here for the answers hopefully awaiting me . Ahh beautiful sunny day at the gloriouse temp of 20f not too bad but oh well if you cut the tips off all your wifes good leather gloves and bundle up in the overalls its not too bad and you can get things done with that extra dexterity. So now I thought I had a new plan of attack. First check again to see if it was all dissconnected, even the shift linkage, maybe I forgot something. Ok winch straps and a chain and a minivan were off to a good start. Even without subarus special tool I figured the amount of force would at least make a seem. so we have the chain hooked on the trans mount , the winchstrap on the chain, and the winch strap hooked on the rear of the mini van. This has got to work, right? A plan of this cunning is ingeniuos. So we tighten her up and with the jack and added pulling power of the winch she should be on her way.... Hmm. Maybe a little more, hmm, maybe more. wow thats really tight, maybe if I push down on the strap with my foot, ok, maybe if I startjumping on the strap with all my 124 pounds the laws of physics will change and the invisible bolts holding this together will breack. What the %&$. New plan with the added pressure maybe a big bar prying on the cross member and trans, son of a . So now we come to it, your input, I will try the penetrating oil and then hit the dowl pins , just to clarify those pins are a permanent pin attached to the engine right?

Next I was thinking heat how do you guys stand on the idea of me heating the bell housing with my torches? I dont know the characteristics of aluminum so ? And I guess the last resort would be the BFH but I dont know where is it okay to hit , Im all for it I just dont want to break anything. Any other suggestions would help thanks alot guys here we go again..

Support the engine well. Hit the entire seam of the bellhousing with PB Blaster or something good. Let it sit for an hour..(in the meantime just keep spraying it if you want and used the whole can!) With your jack and 2x4 lift the tranny up and lower it a few times to see if you can get it to crack off. I puled an EJ22 with the tranny and still had a heck of a time getting off on the ground. Try this. Don't heat it! You could do more harm than good.

Try to jack it at the rear as to creat a folcrum at the front of the tranny.

Let me know what happens.

I swear that when I win the lotto I will fly around the country helping people with their roos. Wouldn't that be sweet!!

Support the engine well. Hit the entire seam of the bellhousing with PB Blaster or something good. Let it sit for an hour..(in the meantime just keep spraying it if you want and used the whole can!) With your jack and 2x4 lift the tranny up and lower it a few times to see if you can get it to crack off. I puled an EJ22 with the tranny and still had a heck of a time getting off on the ground. Try this. Don't heat it! You could do more harm than good.

Try to jack it at the rear as to creat a folcrum at the front of the tranny.

Let me know what happens.

I swear that when I win the lotto I will fly around the country helping people with their roos. Wouldn't that be sweet!!

Yup the penetrating oil and the hammer worked B E A utiful I used my brass rod and my three pound electricians hammer and went around it, I still needed tthe extra pull from the minivan though, its funny when your minding your own bussiness and doing your own thing how many people that pass you stop and and take the time to say things like,"are you okay'' or ''that looks kinda risky, maybe you should have a professional do that'' sure, yeah have a nice day, bless all their little souls.I think I was just afraid of hammering on her she really is a good little wagon, my wife thinks Im infatuated with this car, I just have had alot of different american cars and the first time I was under this thing I was like its a freakin tank. the engineering in this thing is quite amazing, and for a wagon she moves right along. Thanks for the help colorodo hope you get the lotto ,and everyone else, it shoul be all gravy from here.

I have to give these guys a line Exedy clutches on ebay whole kit for my car clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, flywheel pintle bearing and the alignment tool 150 bucks delivered to the door just go on ebay and searc subaru clutch they will pop up I thought the price was ok so ill pass it on

Have a good day, drive it like you stole it