Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 OBW Catalytic Converter question

My mechanic tells me that my front cat is clogged. (It's a 97 OBW with 125k mi) I am planning on attempting to replace it on my own. Any thoughts on the following:

• What would cause it to clog?
  • Do I have to replace the front and the rear cats or can I just replace the front one?
  • Would a universal cat that combines the front and back cats work well enough? (I drive in CA.)
  • Can anyone suggest a site that I can order a new cat(s) at a good price?

-Thanks!

My mechanic tells me that my front cat is clogged. (It's a 97 OBW with 125k mi) I am planning on attempting to replace it on my own. Any thoughts on the following:

• What would cause it to clog?
  • Do I have to replace the front and the rear cats or can I just replace the front one?
  • Would a universal cat that combines the front and back cats work well enough? (I drive in CA.)
  • Can anyone suggest a site that I can order a new cat(s) at a good price?

-Thanks!

Sorry I can't help you too much with your other questions, but here's a link to a source for cats. You might want to give them a call, because they don't have a price listed for a CA model for your car...

http://www.import-catalytic-converter-warehouse.com/