Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Official Weber thread for OffRoad.........

chef_tim

Are there any better aftermarket filters that work better than the one that comes with it? Pre-filter? It seems that I have to rebuild my weber already, its been on for about 90 days and on about 3 offroad trips.:mad: Gas is getting to the carb but is dripping into the carb, I think the jets are clogged real bad.

Anyone think it would help if we blew compressed air through the carb? Worth a try before tearing it apart right?

what size are your jets? have you dumped a can of seafoam in the gas tank yet?

Jets haven't been changed since it came out of box new. Not sure what they come set as. Haven't tried the seafoam, not sure if it'd help, the whole fuel system is COMPLETELY NEW: Cell, pump, 2 filters, lines, regulator.

Jets haven't been changed since it came out of box new. Not sure what they come set as. Haven't tried the seafoam, not sure if it'd help, the whole fuel system is COMPLETELY NEW: Cell, pump, 2 filters, lines, regulator.

I have had a new one out of the box that had the fuel "dribbling".

it was solved with adjustments to the idlemixture, idle speed and timing...

one thing Ifound, was that even though weber states the idle mixture should be 2-2.5 turns out, I usually had mine at 4 turns out... which means some of the jets needed changed, but I never went further with it...as it ran good, and I didn't care what mileage I was getting.....

timing was at 12-13 BTDC...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
well, I got my Brat running again tonight... I had the engine out to do a clutch job, and decided to put in my 155 mains. then along with that, I finally figured out my wiring to run my MSD6A multi-spark ignition...

WOW! just running it in the garage, feels/sounds way better....

Hey there looking through the old post on weber installs for some help with my install, and what do you know im also going to install an msd6 into my brat. I would love to here if you have any advise about the problems I may come across. I have been searching for days and months for the best way the install my weber and my msd6a into my 85 brat to make this as simple and trouble as possible. Could you send me any info that I could use. Thanks scott

• 6 months later...

long,and i mean like 10 incher,screwdriver..........usually just sneaks past ,doesn't seat in the slot all the way,and is still pain in the rump roast.but works.cheers, brian

Anyone have a trick for turning the idle mixture screw WHILE the motor's running?

On a 32/36 DGAV carb fitted to an EA81.

The Disty cap is entirely in the way,

i'm having to remove it to change the mixture setting.

• 9 months later...

So..... PO installed weber 32/36 and took off pwr steering pump claiming they both didn't fit..

does this sound like something someone has ran into?

what's my next step? get new (junk yard) pump and install or get manual rack cause the power rack has been run for years w/o a pump?

thanks...

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I ended up buying it actually, via someone in Japan who bought it for me via an ebay-like auction.

Its only for early EA motors, EA71 and older, but its actually 4mm shorter than a standard intake manifold because the motor it was designed for (EA63 "Sport") had a shorter crank case with a higher compression ratio.

So basically, you have to either shave the block or shave the heads to use it. I'm probably going to shave the heads.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so i got the weber hooked up but its still diesling and backfiring really loud and ive done almost everything i know to do from clean the top end , adjust timing ,lean out fuel ,ect and i have the hoses off the valve covers hooked up with little filters heres a pic. i was wondering if i should hook them up to each other with a tee and one filter or how they are? or if it will help . any sugestions on how to fix the backfire dont care so much about diesling .thanks

post-42497-136027657093_thumb.jpg

You have filters on both valve covers? One of them needs to be hooked up to vacuum and a PCV valve. On mine, the drivers side is to the PCV, and the passenger side is vented in the air cleaner. Do you still have your emissions doodads hooked up? If so, air being added to your exhaust ismprobably causing the backfire (my best guess). I've read that if you have an exhaust leak, they'll backfire too. My nasty backfire was emissions equipment related though.

Putting a weber on is one of my favorite mods to this thing. Cold weather, hot weather, whatever, it fires right up. I've gotten really good at giving the engine only as much throttle as the engine is demading, so my mileage is even better than with the old crapped out stocker. 26mpg, mix of town, and highway, some offroading.

ya my exhaust is the stock exhaust haha it was the stock spark plugs in it , ran great but the exhaust has a leak every four inches..... but also all emissions are gone . so im hoping its exhuast?

yeah probably? I plugged up my emissions stuff, and repaired my exhaust at the same time, so I don't know which fixed it. :drunk:

hey guys i just finished my weber swap to fix the problem with my old hitachi. this is in an ea82. Anyway with the old carb the car would have to idle really high to stay running and until it was warm i would have to feather the throttle to keep it alive. now ive got the weber set up properly with the jets specified on this forum. but im still having the same problem it seems.

im trying to tune the carb but i cant get it to idle no matter where i have the idle screw set. should i try larger air correctors, could my timing belt have slipped a cog or something? any pointers or suggestions will be a huge help:burnout::brow:

• 4 weeks later...
hey guys i just finished my weber swap to fix the problem with my old hitachi. this is in an ea82. Anyway with the old carb the car would have to idle really high to stay running and until it was warm i would have to feather the throttle to keep it alive. now ive got the weber set up properly with the jets specified on this forum. but im still having the same problem it seems.

im trying to tune the carb but i cant get it to idle no matter where i have the idle screw set. should i try larger air correctors, could my timing belt have slipped a cog or something? any pointers or suggestions will be a huge help:burnout::brow:

vacuum leak? with those symptoms, with 2 different carbs, that's what id be lookin for

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...