Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was removing my 12ft, 54lb kayak from the roof of my 99OBW when a gust of wind caught it and slammed the stern into the driver side passenger door! :banghead:

It left a shallow dent approximately 2 inches wide and 1 inch high, joining the other two shallow dents caused by shopping carts or the car doors of inconsiderate jerks.

Anyway, the paint wasn't broken/cracked so I'm thinking of getting it fixed at a local detailing shop that does "paintless dent removal" that apparently uses some sort of suction device to pull the dent out with damaging the paint!?

Has anyone had this done to their car? Does it work or is it a scam? A few weeks ago I noticed a service van for one such service that appears to be part of a franchise.

Any feedback/input would be appreciated.

you got off lucky! i dropped a 17.5' wood sea kayak off the roof of a civic i had, and it took the driver's side view mirror with it!

there is a company called dentwizard who seems to have perfected it, and do it for most of the dealers in this area. they are also available to the public. you can find more info on their website at www.dentwizard.com . they have a variety of tools to remove dents from most places on a car. it is quite impressive to watch...

Thanks for the recommendation -- there are ton of them in Massachusetts (with all the crappy drivers around here business must be good!).

What did it cost (you) to get the damage to your cars repaired? I'm looking for an approximate $$ range so I can get a rough idea of what it will cost me.

Thanks.

just get an estimate. it is probably quite reasonable because it does not require a great deal of time.

as mentioned before, they have a ton of specalized tools to gently push the dents out. when working on doors, they usually go in through the window (with it rolled down), and can reach most of the door. i've never seen them work on quarter panels, but i imagine they work through the wheel well.

The Jaguar dealer near my office is a Dent Wizard "franchise?"

Anyway, I'll call them for an appointment to get an estimate.

It can't hurt and I'd love to get the exterior of my car "like new."

I'll post the results -- maybe a photo, too.

Thanks to all who responded.