Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Wiper Blade Replacement

This concerns my 2000 Forester. I'm currently using Bosch wiper blades all around. But the rear blade has developed a "chattering" problem. It makes a hell of a racket and it has gotten worse since it's gotten colder. I also had an Anco replacement in there which was even worse. Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement other than Subaru ?

It's a 15" size blade and I would like a replacement for the entire unit (holder too) and not just the blade alone.

I found this company on the Internet but I don't know how their product would be either. CLEARPLUS.

Thanks in advance for your help.

~Howard

Ive found the Bosch to be excellent for front wipers as they are heavy (metal) wipers but for a rear wiper, sometimes the angle of the window and the weak spring on the arm equates to needing a lightweight wiper to get decent results. I found a $2 plastic POS wiper on the rear of a Honda CRV that worked way better than the Bosch one did but I wouldnt even think of putting these cheapies on the front...the rubber was very poor quality.

Ive found the Bosch to be excellent for front wipers as they are heavy (metal) wipers but for a rear wiper, sometimes the angle of the window and the weak spring on the arm equates to needing a lightweight wiper to get decent results. I found a $2 plastic POS wiper on the rear of a Honda CRV that worked way better than the Bosch one did but I wouldnt even think of putting these cheapies on the front...the rubber was very poor quality.

Hummm....What you're saying makes sense.

I saw some really cheap blades at Pep Boys. Something like Exact Fit brand. Maybe I'll give these a shot or some equally cheap ones at WalMart.

~Howard

:)

I've used either NAPA's (Trico) Exact Fit or Winter Blades. I've not had any chattering with either of them. I learned long ago to avoid ANCO. I first started using NAPA's blades when I took over Fleet Maintenance for the local volunteer Ambulance service... I've used them ever since...

I've found the Trico's at Advance Auto Parts... only a few pennies cheaper than NAPA. I'm sure others sell them too.

I've got a set of Bosch's on the BUG, not that I drive it in the rain... Those wipers take forever to sweep... you'd never know that they were on...

Using an extra spring (helper spring) can also help, I use them on my three wiper arms and am very satisfied. My front winter blades do not get off the glass even at speed and i have no problems with the rear one.

The spring is sold at most auto stores and looks like a big clothes pin spring. You just clamp them on.

Using an extra spring (helper spring) can also help, I use them on my three wiper arms and am very satisfied. My front winter blades do not get off the glass even at speed and i have no problems with the rear one.

The spring is sold at most auto stores and looks like a big clothes pin spring. You just clamp them on.

I've never seen these "extra spring" devices around Philly.

~Howard

:-\

I've used either NAPA's (Trico) Exact Fit or Winter Blades. I've not had any chattering with either of them. I learned long ago to avoid ANCO. I first started using NAPA's blades when I took over Fleet Maintenance for the local volunteer Ambulance service... I've used them ever since...

I've found the Trico's at Advance Auto Parts... only a few pennies cheaper than NAPA. I'm sure others sell them too.

I've got a set of Bosch's on the BUG, not that I drive it in the rain... Those wipers take forever to sweep... you'd never know that they were on...

I got an Exact Fit 15" for the rear. I'll let you know how it does.

~Howard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Wiper Snuggies" ($3 or $4 at Napa).

I just recently put the extra springs (wiper snuggies) on my front wiper arms. They do help a lot. 2 replacement arms were going to cost over $100 Cdn. The 2 springs cost $10. I haven't put one on the back yet, but it could use it.

I have tried various blades over the past few years.

Good luck with Canadian Tire "Teflon" brand. 1 year plus life. Thumbs up.

I tried some Silblade silicone wipers (about 3x's the price of a low end blade). Always "squeaked" which was annoying. Worked well though. However, not a 5 year life that they claim. The frame (just a standard frame) was getting a bit sloppy and the wiper edge did seem to be getting a little streaky after 1.5 years, so I changed them out. Thumbs neutral to thumbs down. (Oh... I have the same blades on my ex's minivan. No noise there. Seem to be working quite well. Over 2 years now, but not nearly the driving that I do.)

Next, I tried the Bosch Microedge blades. Worked well, but a little soft (at first). One blade edge was damaged immediately by a bit of dried bird p00p on my window. After 1 year, the rubber seemed to harden up. The blades got jittery. I thought it might just be my weak springs, but still the same after putting the helper springs on. So a thumbs neutral on these.

I bought one (to try) Lexor Silicone blade at Walmart. I might have been better to stick to their rubber blade. It seems 'hard'. The blade won't "flip" most of the time as it reverses direction! I've never seen that before. At least it doesn't squeak like the Silblades. Cleans ok. Thumbs neutral to thumbs down.

I tried one interesting blade from Canadian Tire. It's a regular rubber edge glued to a strip of spring steel. There is a small plastic holder to attach the arm. No "frame" in the normal sense. Interesting bit of engineering. It worked ok, but I was getting a little bit of jitter on one end of the blade, so I returned it (22"). At 3 times the price of a low end blade (and the working edge is no different I'm sure) and with what should be lower manufacturing costs, I was not about to put up with any deficiency in the blade. It may be fine in shorter lengths. Thumbs neutral to thumbs down.

So... I plan on buying some Canadian Tire Teflon blades next time.

I've gone full circle. :rolleyes:

Commuter

My experience confirms yours with the Teflon blades. I no longer use «summer» blades. I buy a pair of Teflon winter blade at the end of fall and keep them for one full year. The «snuggies» keep the wiper arms on the glass at speed so there is no need for a pair of «summer» blades.

Glad you tried the new «spring» type blade and found them lacking cause I was about to try them myself.

Take care.

I got an Exact Fit 15" for the rear. I'll let you know how it does.

~Howard

Howard: Exact Fit REFILLS (if you still have the original blade assembly) from NAPA have worked great on our '98 Outback and '99 Legacy GT. You should also consider cleaning the glass by hand with paper towels and full strength (not diluted) windshield washer solvent or non-sudsing ammonia. This removes sap and "road film" that causes wiper chatter. I've even used lacquer thinner followed by Windex (to remove the haze) to clean the glass. Just keep lacquer thinner FAR away from the paint!! Also---soak a soft cloth with silicon spray and wipe it on the wiper inserts. That softens the rubber, making it more pliable and able to follow the contour of the glass without chattering. Learned these tricks while working for a GM dealer years ago---thru a GM technical service bulletin. Other trick I learned there was not to buy a Chevrolet.