Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 coolant flow question, weber water choke...

on the ea81, there are 2 small hoses that connect to the intake manifold.

first off of the heater hose pipe, there is a small one that connectes to the base of the carb mount.

second is one that connects from the intake manifold, just on the front side of the t-stat housing (the cold side) down to the little pipe that sticks out of the passenger side top of the block.

currently I have the weber water choke plumbed in line with the second hose listed above....

so I guess I need to know which way the coolant flows through that second hose...? (without unhooking a side to see :cool: ) I already know the first hose flow direction... but it was easier to plumb into the second one initially....

problems with water chokes -

take WAYYYYY too long to open

get stuck easily

run rich for above reasons

if they break they can flood your engine - literally

sometimes never do and cause really crappy power loss

you have so much more control with a manual choke

I am probably biased because I overhauled an MG Midget with one and had to install a manual choke to get it to pass emissions, and before we did we had problems in all the afforementioned catagories save the choke blowing up (though I saw a junked car where that happened)

Graned it was not a Weber carb, but the principle has issues.

However you plumb it, make sure that water is flowing at all times, and that it is not governed by the thermostat.