Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

4 speed d/r strength

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

Fully retarded and low on compression

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:46 PM

how much power can a ea81 4 speed d/r gearbox take without 'exiting stage left'

the reason i ask is that i think i have scored a ej and need to know if my 'box is going to be strong enough.
don't know what size of ej it is yet it was offered to me by my G/F's father who is a v8 man and had no idea that subaru's came in differnt sizes......

thanks for any help

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 02 February 2005 - 02:15 PM

Subarubrat was(may still be) running a DR 4 speed in his ER27 brat.. 240-250hp. Nuked one tranny so far that I know of.

#3 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:28 PM

Subarubrat was(may still be) running a DR 4 speed in his ER27 brat.. 240-250hp. Nuked one tranny so far that I know of.

he's running fat feet isn't he? stock'ish diameter wheels wouldn't put as much stress on the gearbox, would it?

#4 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:35 PM

Are you planning on modifying the ej? They are not that powerful stock, so the box would probably be ok untill you mod it...

#5 LPGsuperchargedBrumby

LPGsuperchargedBrumby

• Members
  • 655 posts
  • Dunedin, NZ

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:46 PM

Are you planning on modifying the ej? They are not that powerful stock, so the box would probably be ok untill you mod it...

i got to find out just what ej it is yet, i was told its a 2.4L so i figger it's either a 2.2 or 2.5 . gearbox should be coming with it but again i don't know if its manual or auto. but hey its cheap as so i thought why not i can always sell the ej trans if i don't want it

as long as it cranks 130hp or more i can live with it stock.......for awhile:brow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users