Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crazy tailgate lock.............

I have a 1998 Legacy wagon w/ 77 K miles.

My tailgate lock intermittently locks and fails to release. When this happens, only repeated locking and unlocking of the power locks via the driver's side control will unlock it, the key is useless in this instance. Most recently, once I got it open, I hit the lock mechanism with some silicone and worked the lock, but I fear it may be an electrical prob.

My Haynes guide has nothing on this. I would normally live with this, but I am afraid that eventually if I have to hit the unlock button 5-6 times to open my gate, I'm gonna burn something out or break it and be screwed.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could this be the dreaded "Subaru Doors" problem that I also had on my 92 Legacy and my Dad experienced with his 95 Impreza where the power locks slowly go SkyNet on you?

Thanks in advance!

I have a 1998 Legacy wagon w/ 77 K miles.

My tailgate lock intermittently locks and fails to release. When this happens, only repeated locking and unlocking of the power locks via the driver's side control will unlock it, the key is useless in this instance. Most recently, once I got it open, I hit the lock mechanism with some silicone and worked the lock, but I fear it may be an electrical prob.

My Haynes guide has nothing on this. I would normally live with this, but I am afraid that eventually if I have to hit the unlock button 5-6 times to open my gate, I'm gonna burn something out or break it and be screwed.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could this be the dreaded "Subaru Doors" problem that I also had on my 92 Legacy and my Dad experienced with his 95 Impreza where the power locks slowly go SkyNet on you?

Thanks in advance!

Ok 1st i havent had a prob with a tail gate lock but the should all work the same...

I have had similar problems with door locks. #1 Mine was that the arm assembly inside the doors need greased from time to time( Dont use WD-40 unless you like doing it again in a month!:rolleyes: use bearng grease!).#2 Or a peace of the plastic liner got caught on the bar of the lock arm. Just take off the door cover and hit the button and see what’s stopping it from moving…:cool: always look for a mechanical (AKA easy) fix before you resort to electrical fixes!;)

I have a 00 OBW and i have that irregular problem as well...Weird. It seems to only happen once in a while and the gate is released by hitting my FOB lock, then unlock once. I have a rubber cargo tray in the back for my St. Bernard and i was just assuming that the rubber mat was kind of jamming the door somehow, Until, I spoke with my sister who has a 98 OBW and her's did the same thing!

She has been having problems with hers for a couple of years now. Strange...

I cleaned my hatch lock on my 2000 Forester using PB Blaster. You should have seen all the gunk that came out. I then lubricated it with WD-40 and teflon spray. Once in a while I give the lock a shot of PB Blaster to keep it clean. I did not take anything apart; I just shot the chemicals up into the lock.

Link for PB Blaster:

~Howard

:)

This is what I did, after pulling the rear panel off, and removing the pull handle to clean and lube it up.

You'll notice if you push the rod down toward the latch, it will allow the mechanism to work.

So, I adjusted the arm nut two turns. The arm nut is at the handle end, and it pops out of the white plastic on the handle.

Works fine now. I did grease up everything else while I was in there as well.

the return for the handle is corroded inside the gate and the spring is weak.

simply push the handle the millimeter or so back into full open position and the gate will most likely open...........corroded in there.

Mine does it all the time especially when it's cold.

took it apart lubed it and it lasted fine for about a month, just as easy to push handle open and try again.

swi66

Those corroded parts (the license lamp bracket and latch assembly) are very easy to replace. Hey, I managed to replace mine and I don't know ANYTHING... The parts cost around $20-$30 and Commuter posted some great instructions. The rusty hatch latch problem is pretty common in the late 90's.

the return for the handle is corroded inside the gate and the spring is weak.

simply push the handle the millimeter or so back into full open position and the gate will most likely open...........corroded in there.

Mine does it all the time especially when it's cold.

took it apart lubed it and it lasted fine for about a month, just as easy to push handle open and try again.

swi66

That's why I said to take it apart and adjust the nut by the handle. It'll push that bar down a little more

Those corroded parts (the license lamp bracket and latch assembly) are very easy to replace. Hey, I managed to replace mine and I don't know ANYTHING... The parts cost around $20-$30 and Commuter posted some great instructions. The rusty hatch latch problem is pretty common in the late 90's.
I think you are right. I examined the assembly, and it is indeed very rusty. Where did you order that part?

I ordered mine from 1stsubaruparts.com. It is the online "store" for Auburn Subaru in Auburn WA. They had the best prices. I called them to make my order cuz I didn't have good internet security, and the guy I talked to was very knowlegable and friendly.

click on "search" at the top of this screen and enter "rusted latch bracket". It should pull up a list of about 5 or 6 threads. You want the one from 2002, it has about 17 posts. That thread has Commuter's instructions and lists of part numbers and gives a few theories as to why the late 90's have this problem.

Really, it was easy to replace the parts. I'm one of these folks who barely knows what socket wrenches and screwdrivers are, let alone how to use them. If *I* can fix it, anyone can! (Beer helps, of course!)