Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Hitachi Won't Idle

Well - I was driving the Brat today, and it was acting completely normal. I pulled up to a stop sign about a block from my house, and the engine died. I restarted it, but it wouldn't idle. It will run at about 1000 RPM or higher, but anything below that will kill it. I got it home, added 5 gallons of fuel (in case the gauge was wrong), changed the fuel filters (front and rear), and I still have the same problem. I guess the carb needs cleaning. I have been told by a soob mechanic in the past that all they have ever had to do to the hitachi's is remove the carb top, and blow out the carb passages with compressed air. Anyone done this and been succesful? Anyone have any other ideas? This is not the feedback carb, so it doesn't have an ECU to check, or an O2 sensor, or any of that. And it runs totally normal above 1000 RPM - sounds great, and runs strong.

GD

befor climbing into the carb cleaning, I would be sure to check all the vacume lines and conections, I had a hose that looked good but the metal nipple it connected to was rusted and cracking I had to remove that part of the steel and reconnect, so leave nothing unchecked:clap:

Well - found a almost new gasket on one of my parts carbs, so in it went. No difference. So I notice that it will idle pretty normal if I push on the accelerator a little - seems that the idle adjustment screw had worked it's way out somehow. Wierd. I turned the adjustement in a few turns, and now it idles fine. I think it runs smoother now tho, since I cleaned out the carb a bit. Seems to idle a little better now. It's odd that it would work it's way out like that with only a short drive. I drove like 300 miles a few days ago, and it was fine. Today was maybe 20 miles, and it comes out?? I just can't figure that out.

GD