Ultimate Subaru Message Board

YIKES!!! now its a flame thrower!!!!

the code told me the number one injector wasnt working... so i switched it. and it made no difference... so i switched it back.. and it wouldnt start.. then it finally did start and it KNOCKS really loud... oh and the best part.. now it shoots gas out the tail pipe... i have no clue where to even start? all this is steming from an idle problem... i love my car but it seems to hate me?

i pulled codes 22 and 14

anyone got any ideas on what could be wrong? :confused:

Code 22 is knock sensor , code 14 is clutch start switch code

The gas coming out of your tail pipe is not good !!!( to say the least) You may have damaged the o-ring that seal around the injector and now it is just pouring into the cylinder . Which is bad , it can cause the engine to hydraulic and you end up bending connecting rods / engine rebuild . Needless to say you should address the problem right away . Before you start it next time you should hand roll the engine over and if it doesn't move pull the plugs out and try rolling it over

SEA#3

it does this with BOTH the injectors (the original and the replacement)..... it didnt start doing this untill i switched the injectors... it started acting like the starter was out (turning the ignition and it just clicks) and then it caught after a while and ran at about 2000 rpms... then it startede clicking and before i coudl get to the key to turn it off... it died..... and now it knocks and spews gas?...... i

J

you could have a wiring issue with the wire to the injector in question

The injector kept squirting gas and hrdo-locked the engine - the click and no turn of the engine.

cylinder full of gas - piston tries to compress petrol - gas moves by rings

finally.

Dilutes the oil - oil is very thin now - pull the dip stick and smell it

pull the plug from the cylinder in question,

pull the injector and place it in a catch devise (old can or something)

and turn the key to start.

cars dead...... replaced the o ring in on the injectyor... stopped spewing gas... now it just knocks real, bad sounds like a bent valve or something... i guess its time to buy a new engine... heh... thanks everyone... im never touching an injector again!!!

cars dead...... replaced the o ring in on the injectyor... stopped spewing gas... now it just knocks real, bad sounds like a bent valve or something... i guess its time to buy a new engine... heh... thanks everyone... im never touching an injector again!!!
Damn... I've been following this thread and I can safely say that I would have fallen into this same booby trap.

It's startling that the engine tolerance and design is so critical that a defective injector gasket could cause such damage (I'm reminded of o-rings on the ill fated space shuttle!).

I may never open the hood on my car again.

My mom's Aerostar (yes a Ford product) had the computer die on it and start shooting gas everywhere, including out the tailpipe.

Head gasket blew about 10,000 miles later (hey, we had 197,000 on it then, and 245,000 on it now) anyway, I would check/replace the ECU too, because they can die like that