Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rebuild or salvage my Brat?

I got $1800 into my brat. It's spray painted OD green and obviously needs a new paint job($350-$500). The crank case broke, needs new engine. I can get a new EA81 from CCR for $1,100. To have somebody install it will probably cost at least $300.

Should I put another $1800 into it, or should part out and salvage? Would the thing sell for $3600 with new engine and paint? Is this thing really worth rebuilding? Could I make enough off it to part out?

Input would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think I have even gotten that amount that I put into a vehicle for the same vehicle when I sold it. I think it is unrealistic to think you can. If your BRAT is straight and clean, then yes, put the money into it an enjoy it for many more years. If it is a rust bucket, then scrap it out.

If you decide to sell it as-is, let me know. My wife is from OK and we could go down under the guise of visiting family and bring back a newer Brat. Tim

Talk money. Got $1800 into it. Could have it professionally painted for you. It has bed liner below the mid trim-line and in the bed.

Can you get some pics of it??? Also a little more detail, what year?? Is it a GL or DL??? seats, fun tops etc. I can tell you I won't even come close to $1800 for a non runner thats been rattle canned. Lets start with a couple of picture and go from there. Thanks, Tim

Can you get some pics of it??? Also a little more detail, what year?? Is it a GL or DL??? seats, fun tops etc. I can tell you I won't even come close to $1800 for a non runner thats been rattle canned. Lets start with a couple of picture and go from there. Thanks, Tim

:lol: I don't think anyone will come close to 1800 for a ratle canned non runner

Ive never got a dime extra for any of the Subaru's ive had. Lost over $1800 on my Legacy when i sold it. Lost over $2000 on a '83 Wagon i had (but it was impounded, different story). Lost over $800 on a brat too.

I say, if you like the car and want to keep it. Find another EA81 from a Junkyard, or find a used one. You can get imported EA81's for around $400-$600 if you shop around. And as far as paying $300 to have it installed... PSSSH :) Do it yourself. Will take 2 guys, or 1 guy and a hoist. And 3 hours.

If you dont like the car, part it or sell it. Needless to say, you'd be lucky to get your $1800 back that you paid for the car initially, even after an engine swap.

-Brian