Ultimate Subaru Message Board

satellite radio and '05 2.5 Limited OBW

I've settled on what I want to do for satellite radio:

http://xmradio.com/roady2/

It's currently the smallest on the market, and will velcro mount between the shifter and the buttwarmer switches. It has a built-in FM modulator (since Subaru makes it near impossible to replace the radio in the '05).

Now here's the catch: airbags and antenna routing. The 05 suby has way more airbags (like 6?) than my old '97 vw had (2). I don't want to route the antenna cable myself for fear of obstructing airbag components. The dealer won't do it and suggested I take it to a professional car audio installer. When told the service advisor that I wondered whether even a "professional" would know how to route the antenna properly, he shared my concern and suggested I call SOA. Unfortunately, SOA doesn't have technical people on the 1-800-subaru3 line. :( SOA suggested I talk to the service mgr of my dealership, but I don't have high hopes.

So if the svc manager doesn't pan out, is that it? Am I stuck w/o satellite radio?

I have XM in 3 cars, at our glass shop, in my wood shop and in the house!! XM is awesome!

As far as your problem, if I were you, I would take the managers advice and go to an audio professional and have them install! Take it to someone reputable and they will know how to work around the airbag systems. Tweeter Audio/Video has now done 3 custom installs for me. My 95 Legacy and the LS400 both have the Pioneer 903. In the LS, they customized the ashtray so when it is closed, looks standard. When you open it, there it is. They also just did a custom install on my 04 4Runner. I had them install the XM Commander. Nice unit!! Talk to the Audio guys about the Commander since it is a MUCH cleaner install. I have a Roady2 and it is awesome except for the excess wires on the side of it. Bonus is that this allows you to move it into the house or another car or wherever. Moving it was not part of my game plan so the Commander worked out perfect. If your Sube has a factory aux plug on the back, there is probably an adapter that they can hook it directly into the factory stereo. The stereo thinks it is the CD changer when it is actually the XM. Just an extra thought.

Good Luck and you are going to LOVE your new XM!!!!! You will never go back to traditional radio.

I have XM in 3 cars, at our glass shop, in my wood shop and in the house!! XM is awesome!

As far as your problem, if I were you, I would take the managers advice and go to an audio professional and have them install! Take it to someone reputable and they will know how to work around the airbag systems. Tweeter Audio/Video has now done 3 custom installs for me. My 95 Legacy and the LS400 both have the Pioneer 903. In the LS, they customized the ashtray so when it is closed, looks standard. When you open it, there it is. They also just did a custom install on my 04 4Runner. I had them install the XM Commander. Nice unit!! Talk to the Audio guys about the Commander since it is a MUCH cleaner install. I have a Roady2 and it is awesome except for the excess wires on the side of it. Bonus is that this allows you to move it into the house or another car or wherever. Moving it was not part of my game plan so the Commander worked out perfect. If your Sube has a factory aux plug on the back, there is probably an adapter that they can hook it directly into the factory stereo. The stereo thinks it is the CD changer when it is actually the XM. Just an extra thought.

Good Luck and you are going to LOVE your new XM!!!!! You will never go back to traditional radio.

Thanks for the heads up about the wires on the Roady2 - I'll look at the Commander. Unfortunately, Subaru decided to have no aux on the factory radio, so I'll be using FM modulation. It's OK, I'm used to it from my VW.

You think with all the new airbags in the columns and stuff that audio pros still know what they're doing?