Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
New car bug has bitten me!
Posted 25 August 2003 - 04:38 AM
I own a 1990 Legacy 2.2 AWD with 288,000km on the clock. She's still running fine, in fact I clocked 210km/h yesterday
Since I bought it two and a bit years ago, I have replaced the exhaust system, springs and dampers, and upgraded the brakes. I have done a number of smaller things like spark plug cables and all the routine maintenace. No wonder she runs so well!
However, rust is starting to make an appearance in most corners. Nothing deeply critical as yet, but it's getting obvious and will certainly manifest itself soon: Winter is on its way and Danish roads get a lot of salt due to frost.
Now, as you may know there is a new Legacy on the way. Therefore my Sube dealer is offering the last of his 2003 models at a 20% discount!!
SO, do I jump at the chance and buy brand new at used car price, or hang on to my present Legacy until it rust kills it?
I drive 40,000km a year in connection with my job, and I fear for the long term with my present car. Reliability isn't that big an issue I know, but I also have to consider that in a years time it will have a very big mileage on it and noticeable rust: It will be very hard to sell.
I reckon I will be able to get a better price for the trade now, and a new Legacy will last me a loooong time
Any thoughts along the way???
Posted 25 August 2003 - 06:08 AM
Posted 25 August 2003 - 06:29 AM
It may be time to make a new friend!
1 Lucky Texan
Posted 25 August 2003 - 07:31 AM
I reckon I'll let my bank decide if I can afford it!
I have never really "believed" in buying brand new because of the depcriation, but thats not an issue here.
Hear you on the recall thing, Texan, and I have thought about that too. All the bugs will be ironed out of a 2003 Legacy, but no doubt a 2004 will have some teething troubles.
Well, I'll be sure to get back to you all!
Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:06 PM
In your situation I would wait for the new model. You will get a discount, too. Not that huge but there will be a discount. You get the new model. Now! (Only a few months). I think your baby will hold up that long ... Consider the advantages of the new model: more HP (also for the base 2.0 model, less weight (that will also you make feel more power), decreased mileage (look to the numbers of the new Impreza) and last but not least the new improved look and a nicer interior. Don't you think that's not worth the money and the wait? And there is another reason - here in Europe you don't have to wait one year or longer to get the new style ...
I for myself am waiting 2 months longer for the new model - hopefully a 3.0R Wagon if I can afford it.
Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:28 PM
However, after reviewing my financial situation, it was apparent that I simply could not afford a new car. So I decided to buy my XT as a second car to 1) screw around with and 2) use as transportation if necessary...
My personal opinion, at this point in my life, is that that "new car smell" is highly overpriced...
Posted 25 August 2003 - 04:59 PM
Posted 25 August 2003 - 08:04 PM
I just got my adjusted insurance rates from adding the XT...
The Legacy dropped to $500 something in 6 months for bottom-rung insurance, and the XT is a measly $230 every 6 months under the same insurance plan. That's under a 19-year-old too!!!
Try getting those rates at my age with a new car!
Posted 26 August 2003 - 12:05 AM
Also, Euro models are built in Japan.
Right now the first thing is to see if I can sell "Scoobes". If I can't get the right price, I will stick with "him". It's not that I don't enjoy driving it, but it's getting old and will lose the last of its value soon.
If a sale isn't possible, I reckon I will fork out the money to have all the rust seen to properly - mechanically there is nothing to point fingers at
Oh, yes prices in Danish Kroner:
Reg price '03 Legacy 2.0 AWD Wagon 330,000 kr.
Discounted to 270,000 kr.
Asking price for my Legacy: 40,000kr.
I paid 37,000kr. for it in June 2001, but since then I have invested about 45,000kr. in repair/upgrades.
I think the present exchange rate is 8.6kr to 1 US$
Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:56 AM
That's what I would like....but if the power, added features aren't that important, I'd probably try to take advantage of the good deal.
Posted 26 August 2003 - 11:05 AM
Still, if you have the funds to 'get what you want' you should do that. Don't 'settle' for less. As much as you are in your vehicle - you shouldn't have buyer's remorse traveling with you - either for the money you spent OR the model you bought.
I don't suppose leasing is as attractive in Europe as it seems to be for a lot of folks here in the States? Some who can take advatage of tax breaks when using their vehicles for work are able to trade in every 2-3 years. maybe a short term lease would work for you until you save a little more money for a 2005-06 or something?
just some thoughts
1 Lucky Texan
Posted 26 August 2003 - 11:35 AM
And if your are looking for 2.0 model I would suggest to wait for the new model - I am sure it will be more fun to drive! Consider the increased HP of the 2.0 engine - 138 instead of 125. That will make some better times. And the lower weight. It's bigger and better, for sure. A german guy on another forum stated that he already took a seat in the new model and didn't wont to get out of it! Should be worth waiting.
And if your are price sensitive - why don't wait 6 months and buy a show car? (Is that the right word???) Then you'll get a nice discount, too. And don't mind about your "old" Legacy. I doubt that it will loose that much value during few month.
Posted 26 August 2003 - 01:52 PM
I have already touched a new one, but the way. One the of Dealers here had a few on his lot because they were being used for commercials - quite lucky there were only there for a day!
Even so, I cannot afford a brand new car, the whole point is that rather attractive discount. Not sure yet...
Oh, would it be a good idea to opt for the 2.5? Is that head gasket problem solved or what??
Posted 26 August 2003 - 02:16 PM
I own a 2.5 GX Wagon (current "porky" model. My car experienced the head gasket problem twice. But never had to pay a cent for it (and also no pfennig ...)
I am quite satisfied with this engine. It's more powerful than the actual 2.0. If I would buy the Legacy now, I would take the 2.5 again - despite of the head gasket problems. I think the problem should be solved now (I hope it at least).
With the new model you have some more options. We all have to drive the new 2.0 engine to see if it's similar to the acutal 2.5 or not. But of course the new 2.5 will be faster. I will target for the new 3.0 engine - 245 HP - sexy six - hmmm .... I would prefer the 2.5 turbo, but that engine is obviously not available in Germany. I would recommend to wait for a test drive in the new model. Drive the 2.0 and you will see if it is sufficient for you. It will be cheapest solution in matters of price and cost (mileage, insurance).
Ok, if you can't afford the new model now - why don't wait a little bit. Then you will get a dealer show car with low mileage for a reasonable price. If you like the new model more then the current, don't get fooled by the discount. I checked out the prices for an Outback H6-3.0 a few months ago. I found a 1 year old car, fully painted in silver, only 10.000 km, every option in it (as every H6 here in Germany ...) for only 27.000 Euro. The price for the new was about 37.500 Euro. This way you can save a lot of the value loss. And I don't think that the dealers will sell the new Legacy with no discount. At least not here in Germany ... I am planning to visit the IAA - if you want, send me a pm at the 20th of September and I will pass the german prices.
On the other side - if you like the current model and don't mind to pass the new one, then get. It's a good deal. But there will be always good deals... Remember, there are more products to sell than customers to buy it.
Also the comment about lease could be a solution if it is to expensive to finance the new model.
Difficult situation. It is always the same - I also want to buy a new Legacy but I am not really sure if I can afford it ...
Posted 26 August 2003 - 02:16 PM
Posted 27 August 2003 - 04:32 AM
I live in Copenhagen :-)
Posted 27 August 2003 - 11:09 AM
Posted 28 August 2003 - 12:51 AM
However, the day after I took my Sube to the Nordschleife and THAT was an experience
So, if you see a 1992 Legacy with a Nurburgring sticker on the rear quarter window, that's me!!
Just for info: We cruised from Puttgarden to Frankfurt at 150km/h and the car returned 10.2km/l. (8.0km/l at 200km/h..)
Speaking to my bank today about the new car, probably can't get more than 30,000kr. for my old one. Oh, and I got the exchange rate wrong, it's 6.8kr. to 1$.
Posted 03 September 2003 - 11:46 AM
Maybe you can save some money during the next few month or year. So you will have a nice start to go shopping for a "used" new Legacy. With some luck you will get a show car for a reasonable price. I saved 25% when I bought my Legacy 2.5 GX. It was a little over a year and had 25.000 km on the tach. Saved 8000 Euros.
Experience tells that you can be sure that in 6 months there will be lot of dealers that want to sell there show car Legacy. At least here in Germany (Subaru has a long way to go to be mentioned with the Top makes like Mercedes or BMW - maybe it will never happen).
So i am thrilled what the prices of the new model are. In two weeks I will know more. Then let me see what my bank account manager has to say to my plannings. Hope not he wins the fight.
During fast highway driving (180 km/h) my Legacy needs 10 l/km most of the time. If there is no limit for the running horses - with a speed of 220 km/h - the babe wants to be fed with 11,5 l/km - 13 l/km. Not too bad.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users