Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1991 Legacy has a factory stero with cassette.

I'd like to pull that and add a unit for AM/FM-CD.

Looking for suggestions on something that would swap fairly easily, I know nothing about car stero and would appreciate info on brands/sources?

As always, THANKS!

Looking for suggestions on something that would swap fairly easily, I know nothing about car stero and would appreciate info on brands/sources?

As always, THANKS!

The 91 also had an option to install a CD player below the AM/MF cassette player. This way you could have both types of media available. . . It was a single DIN unit manufactured by Clarion for Subaru. It plugs directly into the back of the tape player you already have. . . Check junk yards or online. . . I installed one out of a 91 into my 92 and it works great!

Check out Crutchfiled they sell the unit and give you everything you need

The 91 also had an option to install a CD player below the AM/MF cassette player. This way you could have both types of media available. . . It was a single DIN unit manufactured by Clarion for Subaru. It plugs directly into the back of the tape player you already have. . . Check junk yards or online. . . I installed one out of a 91 into my 92 and it works great!

Second on the Crutchfield. Just got mine in the mail. Wiring harness and everything included for free. Got all the wiring connected up, and am putting it in tomorrow. They even included instructions on how to get everything off the dash/console. All pretty easy to do.

How'd you make out with your radiator issues ??

Must be ok, if you're considering a CD in it...

Good Luck on your NC trip, if we don't cross paths between now and when you leave...

BTW... I third Crutchfield. My brother and brother in law swear by them... We've never owned a car long enough to buy another radio. Except our 01 OBW, we got it setup with a CD when we bought it.

As always, THANKS!

I just put a Sony unit in the '96 OBW for under a hundred bucks (oddly enough from Wal-Mart the place I love to hate)... just took out the cassette machine & spliced (a bad bad thang to do) into the wires instead of cutting the old connector off... fits great! works great! sounds great! looks cool! (it's my wife's car)

Crutchfield was another choice but wanted immediate gratification....

Later,

Peter

My 95 Legacy has the top and bottom cassette/radio and CD player factory option on it. You'd have to double check on your, but I do think you can simply add the bottom CD unit someone else had already mentioned. This would probably be the easiest swap and that way you can still play any tapes you have laying around. I'd check junkyards, but usually those places want more than a used factory radio unit is really worth, so ordering online or from a catalog may be your best bet. Try eBay--I got a sweet deal on a brand new Subaru 6 CD remote changer for $11! A lot of times the only real demand for factory radios is from the people who rebuild wrecks, and they typically do all their shopping from junk yards...

That Crutchfield had some nice looking unit, thanks for the tip folks!

The units I looked at, however, all seemed to say I needed a 3" pocket below the tape deck, and mine is 2". I'll have to look thru their site somemore. I particulary like the idea that you could do a search based on the particular vehicle.

Unver, I didn't get down to Utica for the radiator until last week. Made a day of it. Lunch at a buddys diner, picked up the radiator($115!), went to Sears for some tools because, while my carpentey tools are up-to-date, my metric tools were almost non-existant, feed store for dog food, grocery store, ect.

Radiator is slated to get changed today hopefully. I've got a touch of the "Irish Flu" this morning.............

I would also suggest Crutchfield. I used them when I upgraded the speakers and I would use them again if I wanted to replace the radio.

If you don't want to attempt the job yourself, I would suggest Best Buy. I got a Pioneer single CD unit, installation and an extended warranty for just under $200.

~Howard

:)

I too am in need of a stereo for my '95 Legacy. How can I tell which ones (model year wise) will fit?

Mike

i picked up a nice pioneer from walmart an it fits perfectly using the stock mounting bracket,some stock radios that didn't have cassette had some type of filler below radio(storage compartment etc)

using the stock frame along with the filler,the cd player i bought looks pretty good.some pics are in my gallery.would have put a pic in this post but as being new to this wasn't sure how.

also picked up a wiring harness from my local audio store.(some place like circuit city)

I personally used Crutchfield as well, although I didnt have to wait as I used to live near one of their stores in Harrisonburg VA. But even if you do have to get it shipped, its kind of cool to know that you can install the stuff yourself with the instructions they provide. I could have put in the bigger pocket under my cd player, but I dont really care about looks, so i just left it open...you can still look in and see wires :grin:

if you go the aftermarket way Im going to recommend getting a wiring harness for sure. As a person who's done several wiring jobs (with and w/o harnesses) my 93 legacy was the one that caused me to create new cuss words. Not only that I couldnt find anything online that didnt cost me $$ to tell me which wires are what, found out the sedans apparently have a different wiring setup altogether from the wagons (since I did find the sedan info, none of it matched mine) tho I did in the end learn which ones went where since of the 2 harnesses only the one that goes to the speakers is being used (anger)