Mods: Now

K&N Cone Filter

Garner Pulley

Techworks Header

GT17 Ball Bearing Turbocharger

Techworks Downpipe

2.5" Cat, 2.5" Custom exhaust, 2.5" Flowmaster

Ebay Manual Boost Controller

I did 3 runs only. No tuning! Boost was set at 9-10psi. Stock boost was between 8-9psi.

Here is a dyno chart of the 3 runs I did.

TechWorksHP-TQ.jpg

This next dyno chart is a comparison of my stock baseline horsepower run vs the TechWorks run I did today.

TechWorksVsStockHP.jpg

A gain of 34.16hp around the same boost psi. Not bad!

Now lets take a look at the torque graph.

TechWorksVsStockTQ.jpg

A gain of 26.47lb-ft of torque at about the same boost pressure.

After I get a RRFPR (Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator), an EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) gauge, a fuel pressure gauge and my fuel injectors cleaned, it's time to up the boost. Better have an extra clutch and flywheel ready. More pics to follow of car in shop. Enjoy!

how far will you be upping the boost? beyond 15psi?

so does this mean you are running around 150-160hp on nearly stock boost? :slobber:

As far as my fuel, clutch and tranny will take me. :brow:

As for the hp and torque, I should be losing 30% through the drivetrain. 30% through the drivetrain gave me 113hp and 136lb-ft of torque at the crank according to the stock dyno numbers. This pairs favorably to our 115hp/135lb-ft of torque stock according to Subaru. Using 30% drivetrain losses and the TechWorks dyno numbers of 113.40whp and 121.66lb-ft of torque, power numbers at the crank should be around 162hp and 173.8lb-ft of torque. Right there with a stock 2.5RS. In this case, power gains would be 49hp and 37.8lb-ft of torque at the crank, at stock like boost. I guess it all adds up to how you want to read the dyno chart.

I forgot to mention something interesting. Even though the header diameter is larger, the turbo is larger and the intercooler a decent size, nowhere in the dyno chart is there evidence of turbo lag. I was happy to see this and did not expect it.

Also, like many of you have said previously, it looks like the exhaust eliminated the severe power drop-off after 5500rpm. I can't tell you how happy I am to be able to rev to 6500rpm now. :banana:

GREAT Work Kevin, you are the man. I’m really surprised how well the EA82T is responding to the mods, there may be a little more in this engine than I thought. Look at the flatness of the torque curve, that’s good volumetric efficacy across a wide RPM range. And look at the power right up to 6300RPM, maybe these heads don’t flow that bad after all.

Gary

P.S. I wish I was closer to you, I’d love to help out with the tweaking and tuning.

No duh! Its just a stock 04 scoop. The STI one is taller, more manly :)

BTW, this is Tex

Kevin, nice work on the dyno. Numbers are amazing!

Thanks Tex!

I'm REALLY concerned about fuel. Seems like the more things that are getting done, the car is running leaner and leaner. I would like to run a 12.0:1 air/fuel ratio or thereabouts to be safe. I'm trying to follow the trend of the WRXs and how they tune. For a turbocharged car, running 13.0:1+ is a big no-no. I'm not saying my car represents all the rest of the EA82Ts (or EA81Ts) but this is something of big concern to me.

I'm going to send my fuel injectors out to RC Engineering and see if they can get me some larger fuel injectors. Whatever our stock fuel injectors are, I'd like to get some that are between 40%-50% bigger. From there, I'll get a RRFPR (Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator) and an SAFC. If I could get the SAFC installed properly, I feel I can tune it along with a RRFPR to exactly where I want it to be. An EGT and fuel pressure gauge is a must also. I'm not touching the boost until then. As a matter of fact, I'm considering turning it back down for a bit. These air/fuel ratios are ridiculous.

I'm hoping Will (WJM) may put up some air/fuel ratio charts of his runs so we can take a look at them as well. I've been going back to that thread but haven't seen anything. Perhaps this is just something on my car. Have fun boosting!

I hope folks are keeping an eye on their air/fuel ratios when they are cranking up the boost, especially in the 12-14psi range (non-intercooled). Something to think about.

How'd the TWE stuff affect turbo lag for you?

Hello Manny,

I posted about this earlier in the thread. I'm happy with the results. :headbang:

I forgot to mention something interesting. Even though the header diameter is larger, the turbo is larger and the intercooler a decent size, nowhere in the dyno chart is there evidence of turbo lag. I was happy to see this and did not expect it.

Why dont you add an additional injector or two. You could add it in your air tube before your throttle body. There are systems that use a signal from the Tach and boost pressure which control injector pulse and duration. I think this is the way I am going to control my fuel mapping issues. The computers are fully adjustable to fuel/RPM, Fuel/boost pressure and total duty cycle. I think this is the most adjustable way to go with the older subarus due to the lack of adjustability in the stock fuel system. Any thoughts? Heres a pic of the Microfueler. There are a few systems like this on the market now.fueler.jpgmicrofueller.jpg

I dont have AF ratios, no wide band hooked up.

I see its a Dyno Jet! We have the same stock boost numbers it apprears. Excellent. You have the larger turbo, so when you crank up the boost you WILL be putting out more power up high and not dropping off like I am....PLUS getting alot more mid range and the TQ curve will be VERY nice.

I expect to see 170~190/200~230 when you run 15 PSI. :banana:

A supplemental fuel/control system may be a part of the solution but you will still have to clamp the MAF signal to avoid hitting the fuel cut. The piggyback system will have to come in strong at the point where the stock ECU goes max pulsewidth but provide little or no additional fuel below that point to avoid running overly rich. A system that provides progressively more fuel with RPM and boost pressure will not integrate well with the stock ECU, what is need is one that will only pick up where the stock system leaves off. I’m sure these systems exist but as always cost is the issue.

Just a few more thoughts

Gary

or one could just use a megasquirt

I know! I've bee reading about this over and over again. This is beyond me though. I understand how an SAFC or extra injector works. I'd need one or two people I could depend on to get the Megasquirt going and have it operating correctly in ALL conditions (cold, hot, humidity, partial boost/high load *Hill/4 people*, idle).

I know some peeps have gotten it to work like OddComp. I'm just not fluent in that kind of stuff. Once I grasp it, I feel I'd be a little expert with it because I'd delve until I can't learn anymore with it. It's just the getting started part. MegaSquirt installers and tuners are needed. It's not that simple! Has anyone installed this on their RX turbo and have been driving it around as a daily driver? I'll get to reading more on that Megasquirt thread to catch up.

An additional fuel injector and controller seems interesting. I know ProECM sells such a product.

http://www.proecm.com/Fuel_M1.htm

Dave there was trying to sell me that back when I was playing with one of the XT6s. Anyone here tried this? What Gravityman points out seems similar to this.

Personally I still think the best way to go if someone could figure out how to mod this to fit an xt6 or RX (doesnt matter amount of cyl) this would be the best way to go hands down. HKS PFC F-CON ! It intercepts your stock Fuel injector signal between the ECU and injector uses boost and tach sensors to modify your injectors Pulse width and duration, everything. totally adjustable, customizable computer mapping and so forth. I know it sound like a MS mabe i am just being redundant DDDDDAAAAA:dead: MMMMMNNNNN it. F-in I calling Subaru's engineers tomorrow to kick their rump roast cause they are kicking ours!:mad:

Guess who's winning??