Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 Blown Head gasket symptoms?

Just picked up an 80 DL 1600 cheap ... 52k original miles. Think the head gasket may be blown ... getting a little frothy mix of fluid in the breather. I didn't see anything on the dipstick.... no funky stuff comming out of the tail pipe. If it is a head gasket ? Do they still make them for the ea71 ? How much time is involved in replacing one or both, and can i do it without pulling the motor?

Can be done one car.

See if you can find you older dealership and talk to the older techs.The Service Dept. might even let you borrow,or have the tools required.It's nice to have the alignment tool and special socket,but you can indeed get by without them.

You might be able to get the dealer to procure the headgaskets.If not,you'll find decent aftermarket ones,sometimes Subaru's own,on eBay.

If you're in a pinch and can't wait I can sell you a set.I also have a complete engine re-seal kit if you want to go hog wild.

Email me or use the PM if you need anything for the EA71.

Paul

Is it kind of off white,creamy?Under the oil filler cap too?Most likely needs headgaskets.But if you really like the car,have those heads resurfaced,checked thoroughly,valve grind,new headgaskets,fresh exhaust gaskets,and drive comfortably for a long time.